• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trolling Beefy Bags

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tadel001
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stevensville, MD

Trolling Beefy Bags

Post by tadel001 »

I bought two 36" beefy bags from Amish Outfitters for this upcoming trolling season. I did a quick test run. The bags seem very big in the water. I have a single screw. I was curious if there were any tips for using these?
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Trolling Beefy Bags

Post by Carl »

Which transmission do you have? If its a ZF, you have a dealer right in Stevensville that can install a trolling valve. I have never tried the bags trolling, but have used one to slow the drift. Even then it would sometimes end up in the way. Where are you tying them off? How did they effect your steering? Sorry I don't have any tips for the use of them, but good luck!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Get a trolling valve. Have tried searchers in past not worth the effort. Trolling valves make all the difference
tadel001
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tadel001 »

I trolled this past weekend (Sat and Sun) for Rockfish on the Chesapeake Bay. The trolling bags worked great. Very easy set up. Once I got the length of the lines figured out, no issues. We got several fish and they weren't in the way. The trolling bags also seem to damper the rocking of the boat caused by wake. Not that it was an issue but just another benefit.

Two 36" bags dropped me into the 2.3-2.9 kts range (tide influenced it a bit).
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

That is interesting. Where did you tie them off? The beauty of the trolling valve is you can run the rpm's up to 900 which takes a lot of the shaking and rattles out of play. If you caught a couple fish, they did the job! What area were you fishing?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
tadel001
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tadel001 »

If you explain how to upload pictures, I will post a picture.

I tied off the front line to the mid cleat, about 3 1/2' of line to the strap loop. Then about 4' of line from the rear cleat to the rear strap loop. I used 1/2" line on the front and 3/8" line on the rear. It really worked well. I was very nervous at the beginning but after 5 minutes, I didn't pay attention to them again. I will probably troll 10 times a year. So spending the money on a trolling valve v. trying out the bags made more sense. For the cost of a trolling valve, I will get a new Garmin Echomap Chirp GPS/Sonar and the beefy bags. Figured that was a better overall fishing investment.

We fished between Bloody Point and the Bay Bridge going east west. Caught a 38" in 80' water and 33" (throw back) in 60' water. Going tomorrow night again.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

instuctions are on each pic below!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

Post by chesapeake albin »

hi,

I did this too,

It has been working for me. I got 30" bags from pro bass they cost nothing compared to a trolling valve.
I think I should have gotten the larger bags I can run 2.5 to 3.5 knots depending on conditions.
I have not caught anything decent this spring. I might be going too fast still.
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate

Tadell001, where are you keeping her?
Baybridge marina?

I am in the magothy?

Travis
tadel001
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tadel001 »

I keep the boat at Queen Anne Marina, just south of Kentmorr. I live across the street from the Marina. I will be fishing tonight, going out around 4:30 with the hopes of getting the spread in the water by 5:00 pm (high tide) and then fishing the outgoing tide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate

What is that on the side of the pilot house, a ladder?

Where are you looking tonight? I fished in front of your marina Monday night and got nothing..
tadel001
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tadel001 »

Yes, a ladder to the top. It actually is great to have. I think the boat may have had a tuna stand at the top at one point. It is great with the kids (and one adult) jumping off the top into the water in the summer.

Not sure where I am going tonight. Checking with a few captains to see where they were today. I think they are moving into the rivers for spawning.

Return to “General Discussion”