• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

helm seat post

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

helm seat post

Post by LillianpFD »

has anyone had any issues with their helm seat post? i have a Todd helm chair on a 28' flush deck that would be unscrewed from a flush deck fitting to allow access to the engine. the threads to the bottom of the post seem to have become stripped and the post can now just be lifted out of the fitting. also makes for a rocky chair! Only 3 1/2 years old.

New to the site. have enjoyed reading all the feeback!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm a little confused. The post seat on our boat does not have threads, it merely sticks into the mount. I've never seen one that threads in. Perhaps someone with a 28' has the same seat and can explain.

3.5 years is shorter than I would expect a chair to last, but not if the person sitting in it did so off-center, or in rough seas. Things on boats break, particularly when driven hard. Perhaps you could explain in more detail (perhaps with pictures) what is wrong, and let us know what help you need in getting it fixed.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

My 2006 flush deck also has a Todd screw in type helm seat. Its a shame your chair wobbles after the threads went south. I would welcome a unit that does not have to be screwed in and out. Its a PITA every time you want to check the oil, filters. I do try to keep mine very tight so I dont put alot of strain on the threads. If someone has come up with something better Im all ears.

Carl
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Helm seat Post

Post by Butch »

My Albin is a 2004 and after 1 year the post had to be repaced and reanchored. There just seems to be too much stress on the designed of the flush deck boat. It is just great now!
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Yup been there. I had mine replaced after 3 yrs. It's been fine since.
Problem with it is you have to replace the pole and the base.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

What did you replace it with? Same unit or something better. Does the new one screw in as well? Any model #s or pics would be great!
Carl
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Replaced with the same unit. Plug and play. No holes to drill or fiberglass to mess with. I bought mine from Standish Boat Yard (Albin Dealer in RI).

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

help post

Post by LillianpFD »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the failure of this part is quite common.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Seat

Post by irishwake »

I have a 2005 28 TA and while out fishing the other day the seat pedestal let go 1 hour into a 12 hour trip. Upon returning to the dock and further inspection I found the problem. Poor design!
The pedestal is held in place with a threaded nipple that goes into the bottom of the pedestal. This nipple is held in place by a 1/2 inch 3/8ths bolt and a spider washer. The spider washer failed and the seat began to wobble and stripped the nipple.
I called Todd enterprises and told them the problem with my pedestal # 6900-29 and my base #6900. They knew exactly what I needed.
I purchased 3 sets for $20.00 plus 19.95 shipping(ha). I am still waiting for them to be delivered.
In the mean time I drilled out the nipple with a 3/8 ths drill bit in a drill press. I the took a 1 1/2 inch 3/8 ths bolt put it all the way through the nipple and secured it with a washer and a locknut. It feels secure and time will tell if it works better then the previous set up.
ggodley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis

Helm Seat Post

Post by ggodley »

Well, with a 2004 flush deck, I am late to the party, but my helm seat post failed (because of corroded threads in the pedestal post) and had to stand through most of a trip in 3-4 ft seas. My question to Iriah Wake: when you drilled through the bottom of the assembly, had you removed the pedestal base from the post via the three set screws? I am trying to do the same, but the set screws are also stripped and I can't remove them. Also, did your solution work in the longer run?

2004 28' TE Flush Deck
Esperanza
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

I just removed the nipple fron the base and drilled it out. Replaced it with a SS bolt, washer and locknut. It has worked fine ever since. The spare replacement parts are still in reserve and never used. My repair $2.50 the cost of the the replacements parts $40.00. If you have any question let me know.
ggodley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis

Helm Seat post

Post by ggodley »

Irish Wake - your coaching worked. While I didn't have adrill press, a hand drill did the trick by drilling through the nipple on the fitting the seat post sits in. Dropping a SS bolt from the top (with washer) and fitting washer, locking washer and nut from below through the flush Todd base tightened up the seat post perfectly. Repair job ran $2-3 .... replacement parts now are over $300 ... so a substantial savings. Thanks for the coaching.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

I am glad it worked out for you. I have not had a problem with mine since the repair. I can't believe they expected that spider washer to hold up! Anyone want to purchase 2 factory repair parts kits?
abouttime
Swabby
Swabby

Re: helm seat post

Post by abouttime »

I have a 2007 28 TE and have a helm seat base that wobbles doe to stripped threads. I called Todd and they suggested I send pictures and gave me the impression this was the first they have heard of the problem. I am interested in hearing from any of you that have made this repair and have the following questions:

Did you drill out and re-tap/replace the three allen screws that hold the pedestal base to the pedestal?

How do you get the bolt that comes up from the bottom out?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from anybody on this.

About Time
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: helm seat post

Post by Carl »

While fishing in a 3 day tournament this spring my helm seat let go on day 1. Day 2 I sat on a cooler with a bucket on top. In the evening we drilled out the stripped hub in the middle and replaced it with a 1/2" SS bolt, washers and nut. Now when I need to access the engine for anything other than checking fluids, I have to remove the 3 allen screws in the base. It has not been an issue yet and over the winter I will look into doing something a little more convenient. With the 1/2" bolt in place the seat has never been more solid. Hope this helps.
To answer your questions, I did not have to tap out the 3 allen screws, and once I got them out I oiled them up before putting them back in. I have had them out several times now with no issues. To remove the bolt, just cut the foil tape to move the insulation out of the way to gain access. My bolt pretty much fell out. The foil tape to replace what you cut is available at home depot in the section where they have dryer and vent ducts.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”