• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need a new bow thruster 28TE

Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Need a new bow thruster 28TE

Post by Neil »

The original was leaking oil out of the stem this winter. According to Vetus, it needs a new lower half, which is about the same money as a new bow thruster ... Any opinions? Another Vetus? Anyone use something else?
Neil
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Re: Need a new bow thruster 28TE

Post by drbob »

Vetus has always been the "go to" thruster. Strong reputation, easy service, and lot's of dealers to help.
Plus if you can "plug 'n play" you're more than half-way done.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If you can find your local distributor check to see if they have any used ones available. I got a good deal on a used one from a Vetus rep who owns the boat next to mine but he got it from the distributor.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Good advice, I appreciate it
Captnickm
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kemah, Tx

Post by Captnickm »

Before you spend money on a new one take it by your local alternator/ starter shop. They can rebuild them most of the time. Same concept and seals as a starter.
1996 Albin 28te - 370 Cummins
1986 Albin 27 SC - 110 Yanmar
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Neil,I have not replaced mine, but spoke with Vetus rep at the Newport boat this fall, I have the smallest iteration that Albin used in the 28te, 23kgf, he said when it finally quits, to replace the lower leg or motor independently as the price would be reasonable,otherwise , The 45kgf will fit in the tunnel and be an easy swap, Good luck,
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

NEIL: The Vetus is a fine unit. Suggest you either repair or get new one of the same model and make.
whwells "Howard"
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

So we bought the new one, you were exactly right Pedro. The 45kfg is the one. The old one is being a SOB . We got the motor off, but the flange will not budge, all mounting bolts are out, we can tell by scraping around the tail piece that it's not 5200 adhesive. Our next move is to bring a torch to warm up the flange/ adhesive and try to pick the flange up with a jury rigged wheel puller arrangement ........ Anyone done this out there? I'm sweaty about breaking the fiberglass tube through the hull.
Neil
Neigemom
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis MD

Post by Neigemom »

We did ours last year. The 45kfg is an excellent unit. We also had sustained difficulty in breaking free the old flange. A torch is dangerous in the confined space. We used a solvent offered by a neighboring boater. Spray and try to jiggle the flange free (with a ball pine hammer), fail & do it again, ad nauseum. After 2 or 3 hours voila. Remember to super clean the tunnel (remove solvent residue) after using the solvent before using new LifeCaulk. Patience & persistence is most important! We also found the new unit didn't line up with old holes. So, we reversed the install 180 degrees to find good tunnel material to drill/hold. No big deal.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Ahaaaaa
I really appreciate that. The new unit dosnt have the flange on the inside of the tunnel like the old unit. I'm happy to hear that's not an issue. So you didn't have to do any repair on the tunnel at all?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”