• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Signal Flares, a new option

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Signal Flares, a new option

Post by irishwake »

I read an article in Boating Magazine about the new Coast Guard approved Sirius Signal SOS C-1001 Distress Light. After reading it I checked the flares (both day & night) on my boat and saw they would have to be replaced next month at a cost of about sixty dollars. I then went and purchased the Sirius Signal at West Marine for about $99.00. I now have about a dozen flares and the Coast Guard approved distress light. I hope the times never comes for the use of any of these items, but I will no longer be required to purchase new flares every few years. The old flares have an expiration date on them, but they will probably out last my life time. I no longer have to be concerned about expired flares when boarded by USCG or the Florida FWC.
Just something for fellow AOG members to think about.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Signal Flares, a new option

Post by catalina_mike »

Thanks for the heads up..
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I am looking at getting one also. Make sure you have the daytime flag as well, the light is only good at night. Some places sell them as a kit, others just sell the light.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Just ordered one from West Marine. It comes with the day distress signal flag as well. They're back ordered but I should have it on board for the Rendezvous in Punta Gorda for anyone who wants to see one up close and personal.

Bob DeGroot
A28TE Box
Day Tripper
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I bought the kit from Defender several months ago when it was the weekly special on Active Captain

This is a really neat solution, IMO. While a flare lasts only a minute or two, this thing sends out a really bright light all night long. The LED strobe flashes 'S-O-S' BTW. It beams the light straight up to be easily seen by aircraft as well as in a 360 degree circle. The lens is made to focus the light, making it much brighter. Easily worth the money (even at West Marine prices) and no more need to buy flares ever again

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

The light sounds interesting. And I can see a specific use for that.

I have a 26mm Czech flare gun. You can find them through Sportsmans Guide occasionally or Maybe cheaper than dirt. They are full metal housing except for the pistol grips. The flare gun is either German, Polish, or Czech surplus. It's possible to source the flare gun for about $100. The advantage of the 26mm compared to Orion 24-25mm safety plastic red is the round is approximately 2x the length and has more propulsion to achieve a higher apex. Even parachute flares hang for a substantial flight time.

This flare gun fires a variety of surplus 26mm flare ammo. Specifically parachute flare ammo and red or green star cluster. I've tested it and been very impressed. Previously I had single shot SOLAS flares on my sailboat which I liked but at $60-80 per shot it was too expensive to effectively use for local cruising.

When you buy the 26mm ammo you buy it it in 10 round packs which is a lot but solves the number one problem of using flares-- you run out. The ammo canbeabout $100. It's Forth of July compatible. All this can be done via Internet.

It's also fairly accurate at close range and a hell of a weapon. In addition it is reportedly possible to marry the flare gun with a .22lr or .38/44 sleeve insert to fire real ammo. Sleeve inserts are available on the internet but it's ATF illegal to put one in a flare gun to convert it, if that matters to you. Do some research before you consider this.

Return to “General Discussion”