• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat grill for shore use

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Boat grill for shore use

Post by Mike Monte »

Hello:
I currently use an older Magma grill similar to this http://www.wholesalemarine.com/boating- ... d-lid.html on my TE28. It works fine for on the water use.
however
When I use it on shore (which is most of the time) there tends to be quite a bit of wind, thus I have trouble keeping the flame lit.

I see other other boaters with grills that seem to stay lit better than mine on windy days.

What do you use?

Mike
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Boat grill for shore use

Post by jleonard »

I had an older one that I used for probably 15 years. It never stayed lit until I found a fix on the internet. I wrapped aluminum foil around the air adjusting collar (as tight as possible) and that greatly improved it. Then I discovered that if I left to cover open just a little bit it would never blow out. Even better.
So my next "fix" was to drill some more holes in the cover. When I went to do that I discovered the rest of the grill was shot. Rusted out. In the trash bin.

Fast forward to this past season after wife bought me a new one for Christmas. It has a redesigned regulator and it never blows out. At least not in anything I want to grill in.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Southwest Florida

Post by Parrot Adventure »

Hot topic! Our 1981 Albin 36 trawler we purchased in February 2012 came with a Sea-B-Que marine grill (please see: http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/sea-b-que-small/). I think the grill was as old as the boat, or at least 1990s vintage. I initially rebuilt the grill in March 2012 by purchasing factory parts from Dickinson Marine. For nearly $150.00, I bought a new burner, grill grates, regulator, and grill cover. The rebuilt grill worked terrific, but would blow out in a breeze as you've indicated with your grill. I placed a wad of crumpled aluminum foil around the air intake holes on the bottom of the grill, which worked great to keep the flame going. Just last year, the factory burner, grates, and grate supports burned out from continued usage. Rather than again purchasing factory component$, or throwing away the grill (I can't bring myself to throwing away anything that has the potential to be rebuilt), this time I went to a local marine salvage yard where I bought 1/2" stainless steel angle iron to replace the burned out grill supports located around the inner perimeter of the grill. The old supports were tack welded to the grill body, so I needed to attach the new supports with short 10-32 SS nuts and bolts. I also went to Walmart (!) and Home Depot and purchased a stainless steel burner, flame baffle, and 24" diameter grate which I cut into a 13" x 19" rectangle to fit perfectly atop the stainless steel angle iron supports I installed. Because we occasionally fish off our boat here in Florida and even less occasionally actually catch something, I designed an internal fish smoker using a SS smoker box on which I installed 5" long 10-32 bolts to serve as legs to keep the smoke box slightly above the burner. The photos below show the sequential rebuilding of the grill's internal parts as described above. The wood for smoking is in Ziploc bag to keep moisture/mildew out until usage. Now we just need to catch those fish! Thanks, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Great idea I have one to rebuild like that. Thanks

Return to “General Discussion”