• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Cleaner on Diesel Engine

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Southwest Florida

Re: Engine Cleaner on Diesel Engine

Post by Parrot Adventure »

A great although often a dirty topic in these boating forums. My personal experience indicates the severity of the boat owner's OCD dictates the cleanliness of the engine room. I too naively started out by simply merrily cleaning my engine with Simple Green and spraying and wiping as I went. A dab of Rust-O-Leum Regal Red here and there on the engine...next thing I knew I was next incessantly scrubbing the forward and main bilges with hot soapy water. Once dry, I primed these areas with two coats of Kilz Original primer and then two coats of high gloss white enamel. I found by painting the bilges bright white that I could quickly identify any fluids in the event of either a diesel, coolant, raw water, our kids' sodas, or a transmission fluid leak if they ever occur. And the white paint adds to the brightness of the engine room in performing necessary maintenance and repairs. Here are a couple photos. The forward bilge is accessed through the sole under the steps leading down to the forward vee-berth. I call it the forward bilge, but it is indeed a continuation of the deepest part of the main bilge. Thanks, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”