• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Maintenance schedule on Yanmar.

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Maintenance schedule on Yanmar.

Post by mjohnh »

What do you do, Yanmar owners, as far as routine maintenance is concerned on fuel, oil and air filters; on oil changes. Do you do it on a regular schedule or is it done based on engine hours? Mine has a total of 488 hours and I only put on about 25 to 30 hours each year....have owned it 1 partial and one full season

Thanks, John Hefner
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Maintenance schedule on Yanmar.

Post by catalina_mike »

Fuel I always use a Lubrication Engineers diesel additive.. I will pull oil samples on 50 hour intervals until I get a good baseline and respond to the results. I have changed my oil when I purchased the vessel and will pull a sample in the next month to see how its going. Cil changes once a year with non long drain products is a good idea.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thank you, J. Hefner
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Attached is a Periodic Maintenance Checklist (Word document) I put together based on engine and transmission owner's manuals, and other things I like to do to try and stay ahead of the game on routine periodic maintenance.
Periodic Maintenance Checklist.docx
The last few years we've not been that active in running the boat, so each spring when I haul out to check/paint the bottom, replace zincs, etc. I have my maintenance tech come change oil and filter, fuel filters, engine zincs, inspect all hoses and belts, etc. Too many operations so I can't get down anymore to do this, but this way I start off the season knowing the status of everything. Just did this last week and the technician said my Racor fuel filter was so clean we didn't need to change it. Use the additive each time I top off, plus we have the Algae X in the fuel line. I'm ready to go fishing!!!!

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Chris and Dale: This is perfect....It is a large help to me and, I expect, others........

Regards, John Hefner
Serenity Now
Saugatuck, Mi
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Well, think about the timing belts and tighteners. Yanmar says 1200 hours are 6 years whichever occurs first. I know of a couple situations were owner relied upon the 1200 hours and went way beyond the year recommendations. One of those blew up. Taking a chance of the engine flying apart can mean 40,000. On my former 35te with twin yanmar's I did both at under 400 hours but at 6 years. Yanmar has the belt rather than the chain so this can be important. My mechanic always does the tighter with the belt as well.
The safety margin pays.
whwells "Howard"
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I'd read all the comments about 1200 hrs/6 years (200 hours per year use). I turns out that after getting our 1 owner boat home we got close to the 1200 hours which prompted me to research the boat records (fortunately I had them from the commissioning to date) and found it had never been changed (13 years). So of course I jumped all over it. When they pulled the timing belt I guess I was one of the fortunate ones....it was in such good shape I kept it as a spare!
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

"it was in such good shape I kept it as a spare!" No need for that, if that belt brakes, you will need far more parts than the "spare". I briefly thought the same thing, but then quickly tossed it in the trash.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:"it was in such good shape I kept it as a spare!" No need for that, if that belt brakes, you will need far more parts than the "spare". I briefly thought the same thing, but then quickly tossed it in the trash.
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing......my take on "spare" parts is they are kept aboard to get you home, V-belts for sure....but not that one!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”