• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What size dinghy?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

What size dinghy?

Post by Pedro »

All right ,before I go to defenders spring sale to buy my first dinghy I need some input. I have the 28te and plan to either carry it on the cabin roof or swim step. It must carry three of us,I'm not sure what size we will need.Anybody have experience with two adults and one child in an inflatable, I'm 6'1,235#, I keep looking at the 8'-6" finks and they seem awful small,Pete
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Re: What size dinghy?

Post by jetter »

I'm using a 8'6" Highfield. It has large tubes and is rated for 6HP. I like the aluminum hull with floor so your feet stay dry. About 90lbs. I've had 4 adults on it. Not roomy but stable. (I can stand on tube).I travel with it on weaver davits. This means no access to swim platform and would be problem for fishing. At anchor it is no big deal to drop and free up swim platform. It would be too heavy if you wish to use the cabin roof.
Russell
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

Photo attached. O/B now mount on travel bracket on platform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russell
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I had a West Marine 10'2" rigid hull that I returned because of the person's capacity being 3.5. Long story.. But we now have a Zodiac Cadet 290 that fits great on the swim step. I am currently using these:

http://www.allboatproducts.com/Davits-f ... ystem.html

I had to take the outboard in for warranty work so I have only traveled with the outboard on the West Marine one and we did fine. I will mount the motor then figure out the rest. I made a pulley assembly that I hook to the radar arch and pull it up myself. Works pretty well.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Mike, Which cadet did you buy? The rib or solid floor? The cadet fits 3/4 people well?
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

We have a Hypalon Mercury 270 Airdeck, 4 person capacity, 1200 pounds. Up to 8hp. 10 year warranty.
When placed on the swim platform correctly, the transom of the inflatable lines up perfectly with the transom door, and does not "hang over" either side of the hull.
The 2hp Honda is enough for our purposes. Only 30 pounds....which is far better for me.....versus a 55-60 pound outboard. If I have a larger outboard, I just KNOW that while attempting to put that sucker on the transom, someday it's in the drink.......along with me........
Perfect set up for heading into town, or some harbor exploration. Runs for about an hour one 1 quart of gas!!!!!!
http://www.bustersmarine.com/270airdeck.html
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Pedro wrote:Mike, Which cadet did you buy? The rib or solid floor? The cadet fits 3/4 people well?
It was the double solid floor that addes about 30 lbs. Buy the wife likes not stepping down so far like the west marine one. Rated 4 persons. The pully system was a requirement to lift it and I have a 6 hp motor.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dauphin Island, AL

Post by joebuz »

Here are my thoughts. I like inflatables. I've had rigid and inflatable hulls and I believe inflatables are much more stable. I have hauled them behind and put them on top. And I like to carry her on the swim platform. Really easy on/off and much better/efficient/safer than dragging behind, IMO. However, on the swim platform I don't like the dink wider than my boat because it can be a problem coming up to a pier. So, IMO, that is critical in determining the length if you decide to store her on the swim platform.
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Mike, Sounds like you and I are trying to meet the wife's needs as best as possible, mine is a good sport and encourages my boating for fishing , but when she's aboard she wants comfort and ease of use, so the boarding the dinghy comment regarding the rib is important feedback
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

...she wants comfort and ease of use, so the boarding the dinghy comment regarding the rib is important feedback
Whether hard shell or inflatable (we have a Boatex 8 ft 2 in lapstrake hardshell), snap davits on a swim platform are the neatest thing since sliced bread for boarding and stowing.

So Pedro, you're from Groton? We were there for a week last summer with our A25, docked at Norwest Marina on the Pawcatuck & made a run up to New London from Westerly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “General Discussion”