• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Starting a Lehman after 6 years of sitting

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Re: Starting a Lehman after 6 years of sitting

Post by rnummi »

Thanks to Tego (Ben) who drove down and helped to start my engine. It had been sitting for 6 years. Unbelievable how great the folks on this Board have been in helping getting this thing back in the water. People stop by and say, man you've been busting your %^& on that boat and I always say, it isn't me... it's all the folks from AOG who have patiently answered my questions and given guidance each step of the way. My boat is truly a "group" effort. Just wanted to say thanks to Ben and Don... you guys were life savers.

By the way... purrs like a kitten.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

The Westerbeke 42 in my new-to-me A25 had been sitting for 8 yrs. Started on the first crank. 8 year old fuel also.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

I've had it running now for about 3 hrs. Changed the oil, changed trannie fluid, bought K&N air filter to replace missing one, runs like a watch. 2500rpm gives about 6.2 knots at 170 degrees. WOT gives 3000rpm about 8kts. Starts on the first crank. I'm swapping out the water pump and raw water impeller. Temps go down when throttled back. All fluids changed so far so good. Running like a champ.... Between Don's rewiring and Ben's tweaks, this thing is like a Rolex watch. My idle is set at about 800 and it's rough. When I bring it up to 1000 it purrs like a kitten. Any thoughts on the rough idle or is it set too low (and how do i increase it).
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

We have a Ford Lehman 135 with over 7,000 hours on it and it runs like a top, we just completed the loop and never had any issues. I have the same problem, at low rpms (below 900) it shakes the whole boat. We checked mounts, etc. and that just seems to be the way it is. Doesn't seem to hurt it at all. I would leave the idle alone, you want to be able to slow it down before you shut it down.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”