• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leaking Dripless Shaft Seal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Leaking Dripless Shaft Seal

Post by Froggy »

About 5 years ago I put in a PSS dripless shaft seal. They guy who did it in Annapolis said he would never do another Albin again!

Now i'm getting leaking from the shaft area. Appears the bellows may have split or something (of course, it's impossible to see or even access). Anyone have any experience like this?

Carl
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The bellows on the PSS shaft seal must be compressed the correct amount to seal and it may need to be adjusted after 5 years. Loosen the allen screws on the ring seal that turns with the shaft and pull it back from the bellows until the bellows is not compressed. Then move it back compressing the bellows 3/4 inch (you might check to see if this dimension is right for your model seal). You can do this in the water if you do not mind getting a little water in the bilge. I purchased a boat in 1999 that leaked like crazy until I made this adjutment and it was fine after that. If you remove the fish box on the starboard side it is possible to see the shaft seal and watch where the leak is.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

PSS Dripless Seal

Post by Froggy »

Russ,

Thanks for your help on this! I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Carl
cahoots5

Shaft seal

Post by cahoots5 »

Hi all: I just completed 80 miles cruise this last weekend out hear on the West coast. I have the old packing system on my 94 28Te. Im tierd of that drip in the bildge. I hope to pull the shaft in the next week or 2 and check it for damage as I have some vibration in the shaft, I have had the prop worked, and have checked the allinment ,so I hope that the shaft is not bent, will see. (My boat is on a trailer) I will install the dripless seal at that time. I have used the PSS seal on other boats (3) and they are great!! good luck Steve
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

There is a small hose supplying water to the bellows and on our unit the hose clamp was loose permitting water to enter the bilge. I spotted it with a mirrow and had one of my more agile sons tighten the clamp.
Don
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Carl, did you get your leak stopped? If so, what was the problem?
Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
poillon1

Re: Leaking Dripless Shaft Seal

Post by poillon1 »

My Norscot shaft seal leaked the full 1 pint resevoir after 10 engine hours from when it was filled. Found a cut in the bottom of the resevoir and replaced it. Drained right through again! Will recheck clamp tomorrow. Seem to be about a quarter of it left in the bildge. Any suggestions on what to check appreciated. How long can I run with the resevoir dry?
1998 28 TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”