• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor Windlass

No Bananas
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Marina Del Rey, Ca

Anchor Windlass

Post by No Bananas »

Pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to figure out what windlass is best for my 28TE. The lewmar pro fish has terrible reviews but I like the on deck horizontal application to store more rode and chain. I will primarily be anchoring on hard bottom up to 100'. Can I hold 40-50 feet of chain and a bunch of rode? Want something good and reliable without crushing the wallet. All help is appreciated!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Anchor Widlass

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would go with a good. That's what I plan on putting in when I save up the cash. From my research they are the best option for me...ymmv
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I have the Good Windlass. Customer service is excellent. I needed the end cap from the motor as mine had broken down and Tom at Good had it sent to me within five days. Not bad considering it had to cross the Atlantic.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

No Bananas wrote:Pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to figure out what windlass is best for my 28TE. The lewmar pro fish has terrible reviews but I like the on deck horizontal application to store more rode and chain. I will primarily be anchoring on hard bottom up to 100'. Can I hold 40-50 feet of chain and a bunch of rode? Want something good and reliable without crushing the wallet. All help is appreciated!
I have the Lewmar pro fish and have only anchored 4 times but liked the performance. It has the wireless function added. I like to anchor in 50-70 foot depth for diving and the vessel has 40' of chain and 300' of rode. I might have to increase the chain but I wouldn't want to be trying to get back onboard with seas that would require 80' of chain.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
No Bananas
Mate
Mate

Post by No Bananas »

I have seen a lot of good feedback from Good. It's always difficult to switch brands when you get used to something. I've had good luck with lewmar in the past but the 28 I just bought doesn't have a windlass. I'm Planning on using a 33 pound anchor with 50' of chain and as much rode as possible. Does anyone know how much rode will actually fit in the locker? Also, is 1/2 rode with 1/4bb chain sufficient holding power for over nighters?
No Bananas
Mate
Mate

Post by No Bananas »

Thanks for that Mike
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

No Bananas wrote:Pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to figure out what windlass is best for my 28TE. The lewmar pro fish has terrible reviews but I like the on deck horizontal application to store more rode and chain. I will primarily be anchoring on hard bottom up to 100'. Can I hold 40-50 feet of chain and a bunch of rode? Want something good and reliable without crushing the wallet. All help is appreciated!
Plenty of room in the anchor locker for you. I first had 35 ft. of 1/4" BBB chain and 300 ft. of 1/2 inch 3 strand rode in my 28. I later went to 100 ft. of chain and 175 ft. of 8 strand plait. The way that the plait lay down I could have added more chain or rode, but the chain began to castle and if I wanted to add more I would have had to manually knock it over to draw in anymore. Comfortably the 100 ft. of chain with the plait was right and I could have easily gone to 250 ft. of plait with the way that it nestles without the castling affecting anything. Your plan described in the quote above will work and yes 1/4" BBB and 1/2 inch rode is by far adequate for the 28 TE.

On the 28 I had a Horizon 500 (before Lewmar bought them) and that windlass was a champ. On my 31, I have the Lewmar ProFish 1000 with freefall and it has been great. For the 1000 I have 125 ft. of 3/8 chain and 200 ft. of 9/16ths plait and could have easily gone to 175 ft. of chain. I know a number of others that have the ProFish series as well and have not had issue. Lots of internet chatter, but I've never heard or seen an actual owner disparage them. The freefall feature is nice, but if you entertain that option realize that you will have to let the entire chain fall before trying to reengage the gypsy otherwise the jolt will eventually damage the windlass. When in shallow water I disengage freefall for that reason.

On your 28 the ProFish 700 would be the right size along with a 24 to 33 lb. anchor. I do believe that 1/4" BBB and 1/2 inch rope rode is what is recommended for the 700.

Remember that the minimum amount of chain is always the boats LOA. I prefer the excess as we often anchor out spending nights on anchor and with chain you can shorten your scope which can be helpful in a tight anchorage.

I personally have no experience with Good windlasses, but through the comments hear and from others I've only heard "good" reports.
Last edited by Pitou on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
No Bananas
Mate
Mate

Post by No Bananas »

I bought a ronca 33lb anchor and just want to make sure the windlass has the umph to retrieve. I understand the windlass is only used once the anchor is dislodged but I prefer to error on the side of slightly more power than just adequate power. Is the pro fish 700 more than adequate for say 100' of chain and 300' 8 plait rode? I will be installing all new components so we have a clean slate! Also, does anyone know if the ronca anchor will plug and play with the bow pulpit in this boat? Will I need an additional roller Gide system over the pulpit?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

No Bananas wrote:I bought a ronca 33lb anchor and just want to make sure the windlass has the umph to retrieve. I understand the windlass is only used once the anchor is dislodged but I prefer to error on the side of slightly more power than just adequate power. Is the pro fish 700 more than adequate for say 100' of chain and 300' 8 plait rode? I will be installing all new components so we have a clean slate! Also, does anyone know if the ronca anchor will plug and play with the bow pulpit in this boat? Will I need an additional roller Gide system over the pulpit?
To figure out if a windlass is adequate you need to calculate the weight (working load) of your anchoring gear / rode (chain & rope) and anchor.

Working load limit of anchor, chain and rope:
700 - 175 lbs.
1000 - 250 lbs.

Maximum Pull:
700 - 700 lbs. / 50 amp breaker
1000 - 1000 lbs. / 70 amp breaker

Just remember the bigger the windlass the bigger the chain (more weight in the bow), rope rode, heavier wire and larger breaker which means more $$$$ and chain costs add up fast. Be sure to get a chain snubber for tying off when only chain is being used and never let the windlass carry you while on anchor. Another must is a safety line or hook to secure the anchor while it is retrieved. Also consider foot switches on deck. The foot switches will make your life a lot easier.

Not exactly sure of what anchor roller is on your boat, but my 28 and the 31 both came through with anchor rollers that are compatible with the Delta anchors that I use on the Albins and both self launched 98% of the time and nestled right in when retrieved. The Rocna is similar.

Here is a link to the ProFish manual to help you spec this out:

http://www.lewmar.com/Lewmar-Files/Manu ... 20iss1.pdf

In the absence of a chain counter you may want to consider marking your chain and rope rode so that you know how much you have payed out. Flags are available for the rope, but you'll need to come up with a system to mark the chain. I've always painted mine with markings using red and white rubberized electrical coating. Some use colored wire ties or commercially available products, but there a bit small for these tired eyes!
Marked Chain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The only down side to the Good windlass is the circuit breaker it comes with. It's breaking point is on full load and will quite often "trip" out with any load on it. I've increased my breaker to a 70amp with advice from a marine electrician and since have had no issues.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
No Bananas
Mate
Mate

Post by No Bananas »

Totally appreciate the help. Thank You!
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Re: Anchor Windlass

Post by djpeewee »

Because the Lofrans blew up last year I replaced our anchoring setup over the winter.

I installed a Lewmar Profish 1000.

Made an "adapter plate" of 1/4" aluminum. Powder coated it. Used the pulpit carriage bolts to secure it.

50 ft of 5/16" HT chain.

600 ft of 5/8" 8 brait.

Added chain stop.

Added 12" cleat next to windlass for line tie off.

Still have to mark the rode with markers.

As others have mentioned, there is plenty of room in the locker to fit just about any rode you like. Do expect to have to rearrange by hand it time to time though.

I have the Rocna Vulcan 12 (27 #) and it fits the factory roller well.

I'm looking forward to using the heck out of it this setup over the summer in the Broughtons.
Pulpit2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

No Bananas, as you mention, the selection process was difficult... so many choices. I wanted a vertical windlass to neaten up the deck but didn't want to have issues with the rode wrapping around it in the locker.

Also keep in mind that in 100' you need an awful lot of rode.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
No Bananas
Mate
Mate

Post by No Bananas »

Thanks again. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I might have to skip it this season in lieu of buying a dinghy.
I did get a quote from the folks at "good windlass", they were going to come on out to CT,and install the unit without foot switches, but with a new anchor roller assembly which they recommended for self launch, I think it was right around $3,200. Including anchor rode and 25' chain,

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”