• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
No Bananas
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Marina Del Rey, Ca

Post by No Bananas »

Hello all. Just finishing up the final details on 2005TE flush deck that I am in contract to purchase. The boat is super clean but survey uncovered a few blisters on the keel ( both sides ) and a few on the hull. The boat was by no means littered with them but I was curious if this has been an issue with Albins or just a situation where boats just blister. Also, I believe I have a factory live well and was curios as to what successes you fisherman have had with this set up. It seems a bit small!? Has anyone put a live well on the deck or swim step? My boat has a Volvo D6 310 with 511 hours. Pretty excited to put the hammer down ang catch some fish! Thank you kindly for any feedback!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: New member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

welcome to the board! Im not a big live bait angler but I do use some killies for fluke and peanut bunker for striper/etc, and while I haven't used the live well on my Albin the one on my 19 footer is smaller than the Albin one. Just means I bring along a little less bait. As for the blistering issue, while any boat can blister (just ask my dad and with his whaler) I haven't heard of any widespread issues with albins blistering.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

No Banana: Blisters can be an occasional issue even on these fine Albin's. It of course has a lot to do with care and the water it was kept in. Frankly, there are repaired without a lot of expense and very successfully. Had a few spots on my former 35te and no later issues after repair.
Congra's on that great fine. I hope to return to the Albin family if my Sabre sells.

whwells "Howard"
No Bananas
Mate
Mate

Post by No Bananas »

Thank you both for your feedback!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Welcome to the forum.. Blisters were not seen on mine when I started giving her the love she deserves. As far as the live well I have killed all my bait on my first fishing debut. After putting a new pump in it failed to be able to draw water while underway. A scoop will be installed next time she is hauled.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

No Bananas & Catalina_mike,

Welcome aboard No Bananas!

Albins, at least the early Swedish built Albin 25's like mine, have a good rep when it comes to blisters. My A25 is 45 years old & so far as I can tell has no sign of blisters. Not sure if the same is true for more recent models of boats like the TE.

Have fond memories of both Marina Del Rey & Dana point. Prior to becoming an "Albineer" in 2014 I had owned a series of trailerable sailboats dating back to 1998, and to this day am still a member of the Lake Pleasant Sailing Club in AZ. Lake Pleasant Sailing club organizes Catalina cruises sailing from Marina Del Rey most summers during the week after July 4th, launching trailer sailers and/or chartering boats from Marina Del Rey & sailing over to Catalina Island. Even though it's a longer crossing than going from San Pedro, MDR is preferred because of the secured truck and trailer parking and the 180 degree course to Two Harbors has a better chance of getting beam reach winds.

One of those sailboats I owned from 2001 to 2005 was a Montgomery 15 pocket cruiser that I sailed from MDR to Two Harbors & Avalon in 2003. And yes, for those familiar with Montgomery boats and the new Sage 17, I've met Jerry Montgomery himself on several occasions. Later I had a wing keel Catalina 25 that in July 2012 my wife and I harbor hopped from Chula Vista on San Diego Bay to Cabrillo marina in San Pedro with stops on the way at Mission Bay, Oceanside, Dana Point, and Newport Beach and thence from San Pedro to Two Harbors. On the way back we did a direct run from Avalon to Dana Point, then Oceanside, and finally from Oceanside to Chula Vista in one 50 NM run, my personal all time record for single day distance under sail. We had joined the Chula Vista Yacht Club that year and had reciprocal privileges & booked a guest slip at Dana Point Yacht Club. Nice friendly folks there.

Among our future plans now that we have our Albin 25 is to go direct from Dana Point to Catalina Island. Not this year though, as this year's plan is to go back to the Pacific NW and cruise the Salish Sea from the San Juans to Desolation Sound. The San Juans in Washington State and Gulf Islands in BC Canada is as if Catalina Island was in sheltered waters and had dozens of other islands nearby with good sheltered anchorages within 10 to 20 mile radius.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

No Bananas wrote:Hello all. Just finishing up the final details on 2005TE flush deck that I am in contract to purchase. The boat is super clean but survey uncovered a few blisters on the keel ( both sides ) and a few on the hull. The boat was by no means littered with them but I was curious if this has been an issue with Albins or just a situation where boats just blister.
I'm on my second Albin with no blisters. The first a 2002 28TE & the second and present boat a 2006 31TE. I barrier coated the 28 in 2010 and the 31 was barrier coated from the original delivering dealer. I'd just get them repaired and not worry about them. Blisters happen and can be reasonably dealt with.
No Bananas wrote: Also, I believe I have a factory live well and was curious as to what successes you fisherman have had with this set up. It seems a bit small!? Has anyone put a live well on the deck or swim step? Pretty excited to put the hammer down ang catch some fish! Thank you kindly for any feedback!
catalina_mike wrote: As far as the live well I have killed all my bait on my first fishing debut. After putting a new pump in it failed to be able to draw water while underway. A scoop will be installed next time she is hauled.
On my 28 I had the same first time experience as Mike .. picked up our bait and headed off to set some livies! When we arrived the bait was all belly up. Albin had used a round mushroom strainer on the livewell pickup. :idea: For the rest of that first season I would put the raw water wash hose in the well with a spray head on it while underway as Albin had put a forward facing scoop on that intake. They should have put them on both! Not a big deal and it was resolved during the upcoming off season haulout.

As far as the size of the livewell, I found that I could sustain 18 to 22 live mackerel and anything over that the water would become oxygen starved and the bait would go belly up. The live well in the 31 has increased the capacity to about 3 dozen.

I hope that your sale goes through and welcome aboard!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

A few "blisters" were found by the surveyor of my present boat but they turned out to be only in the paint. My previous 97 model never had any blisters. You might check to see if they are just paint bubbles.
I have used the live well with no problem but I just use bottom fish like grunts. Last Monday I caught my first sailfish pitching a live bait over the stern. Very exciting to see jump. If you want to see what can be done with these boats for fishing take a look at the youtube video below made by someone selling his boat in Panama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFUFV8 ... e=youtu.be
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Russell wrote:A few "blisters" were found by the surveyor of my present boat but they turned out to be only in the paint. My previous 97 model never had any blisters. You might check to see if they are just paint bubbles.
I have used the live well with no problem but I just use bottom fish like grunts. Last Monday I caught my first sailfish pitching a live bait over the stern. Very exciting to see jump. If you want to see what can be done with these boats for fishing take a look at the youtube video below made by someone selling his boat in Panama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFUFV8 ... e=youtu.be
STUDs!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
No Bananas
Mate
Mate