• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Beta Don's Groco Water Filter

Albin's "power cruisers"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Beta Don's Groco Water Filter

Post by rnummi »

I was looking at Don's Filter, popped the hatch to see what I had... This poor puppy is my intake water filter. Does this suffice or do I need to snag one like Don's?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: Beta Don's Groco Water Filter

Post by smacksman »

That is what I fitted. Cheap and cheerful but it does the job.
If I could make one constructive criticism of the positioning - it is below water line and also liable to being kicked/troddon on.
I fitted mine on the fore bulkhead above water line.
I would love to have had the money to fit a 'proper job' Groko but a cheap strainer is better than no strainer on the ICW.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks. I'm enjoying your videos on YouTube. We should find a way to post them here. Really really good.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Thanks - very amateurish. I took video/pics with a very cheap camera and more for a home album rather than a public documentary. A search on YouTube for 'albin 27 free state' will find them. It takes me a lot of time to make them so still more to come before I reach New Orleans.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I quite enjoyed them. You have a real gift. You could have actually filmed "changing a hose" and it would have added to the body of knowledge (in my case a very limited one). You sound like Attenborough. For anyone who hast seen Roger's videos, search for smacksman1 on YouTube. Well worth your time.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

Agreed, came across them the other evening. They say the accent adds 10 IQ points over here!
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Turns out the picture is of the Generator's water supply line. It appears the raw water sea cock is (!!!) run directly to the engine. I guess I'll have a chance to do a Groco bulkhead mount after all. Are the 500 Series adequate for both?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Something like this is the classic strainer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111762444194
image.jpeg
But be sure to put above waterline and with easy access. ( mine is between the engine and bulkhead..... Hard to check.
I think I would use one of the large plastic units like this if I needed a new one with a large opening lid.
image.jpeg
Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

I just installed an arg 500 strainer in the area where the shaft exits. I used blind "well nuts" and #10-24 screws to attach it to the port side. where I attached to is one of the stringer / air channel affairs so no access to the back side. I suspect it below the waterline but not bu much. The way I understand it is that it is harder on the impeller above the water line. Now I just have to plumb it all in!
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Woohoo! Thanks to Tego/Ben for the Groco 750. Now we're cooking. Just bought a Groco 1000 for the main engine (it was plumbed directly from through hull to engine). The 750 goes in for the sea water wash down and generator. We have a system where there once was none. Also many thanks to Don for interrupting his voyage to lend a hand on my boat. The AOG Forum is the best.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Had a great time helping Rick with his boat for a couple days! - Wish we could have stayed longer, but the lure of grandkids just across the bay was too much for Carolyn :D

Rick and I both have 1984 model boats, but the differences between the pre-production boats like mine (#116) and the production ones like Rick's (#184) are numerous - Our pilothouses are quite different, as are the engine compartments. His has a finished liner in the engine compartment while mine is just the raw fiberglass inside of the hull. Completely different engine mounting stringers and his stuffing box is in the back, just in front of the cutlass bearing like it is on the 6 cylinder boats. The engine bay hatches and the surrounding deck are quite different between the two also

Rick has polished his hull with a 3000 grit sanding pad and it looks shinier than new - I'm really envious!. He's stripped all of his teak and it's gorgeous - You can really tell his boat had been stored under cover, long term. The amount and quality of the work he's done over the past 90 days or so is just amazing . . . . he's to the point where he's really starting to smell the bay - It won't be long now before another A27 gets wet for the first time in a long time

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”