• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Beckson Ports Interior Mount

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Beckson Ports Interior Mount

Post by rnummi »

Am I correct in assuming nothing whatsoever is used to caulk/glue/secure the ports on the interior side? The liner is held in place solely by pressure as the bolts pull the interior frame/cabin side together?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Beckson Ports Interior Mount

Post by Tree »

Think they're screwed in. The outer ring is bonded in place with silicon etc. Search the forum for it as there is s good how to on here with regards to taking them out and reseating them.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Rick, That's correct. The interior flange is screwed to the cabin wall, without caulk, and the liner is held in place by the pressure of the screws. The trim ring is the weather seal. Before you mount the outside trim ring, put a good bead of an adhesive caulk like 4200 around the crack where the throat comes through the cabin side. I always put a bead on the trim ring, around the outside edge also so when you press the trim ring on the hull, you get a good squeeze out all around the outer edge of the trim ring as well as around the inner edge of the trim ring. Make sure you get a healthy bead around the throat crack, as that's your main seal. I've never through bolted a plastic port. I always through-bolt a metal port as they are serious off-shore assemblies. These plastic ports are coastal units only in my opinion. If you mount these correctly, they'll never leak. The problem with the original mounting is because they were chintzy with the caulk (not enough and cheap junk). Make sure the surfaces to be caulked are absolutely clean. Ben
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Thanks Ben. I actually mounted them with no sealant as I'm going to pull the liner once I get in the water. Through bolts worked great though. Ended up with 1 1/4 inch bolts on average. They feel solid as a rock. The Beckson barrel bolts really lock them in. Don said, forget the instructions, drill a larger hole through cabin so you get enough space for caulk. Makes it easier to install as well. Really cooking along. By the way for those that follow, the 3/8s barrel nuts are worthless. Order the 1/2. The smaller ones don't have enough thread depth to counter cabin thickness variation. I had originally ordered a 50/50 mix betwixt the two sizes. Ended up having to reorder more 1/2 inch nuts.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “Albin Maintenance”