• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Preventative Maintenance

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Preventative Maintenance

Post by rnummi »

Is there any benefit to pulling Alternator and Starter and having them rebuilt while boat is on the hard? Both apparently work, boat has been sitting for 6yrs. Anything else benefit from a pull and rebuild or just leave well enough alone? My local auto electric shop has offered to rebuild both at 100 each. Any advice one way or the other?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Preventative Maintenance

Post by catalina_mike »

6 years is a long time however the bearings and solenoid on the starter are the things I would worry about. Pull the belt off and manually spin the alternator and see how it sounds. I really can't think of a easy way to test the bearings in the starter. But if it's not broke I would let it go..
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Ok, I'm working on the hard, boats been idle for six years, was just wondering if I should be pulling off pieces parts to get them"new" or relatively so.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

If they have not had salt water sprayed on them you should be good. You break a hose and or spring a leak and you get salt water over them, not long after they will rust and go out. So you could go new and take them out quickly if something went wrong with your hoses or coolers. I would say if they checked out OK I leave them alone. Looking ahead shop and buy back ups off E-bay cheap. If you lose one and need a quick fix because on vacation a thousand dollars will go quickly. That was my experience with my starter last year on vacation. The starter took a bath from a leaking cooler. A month later starter went out on vacation and cost me plenty. Rebuilt my old one for backup and bought a new back up alternator for less than starter cost by far.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

I would sure take a close look at hoses, belts, impellers and hose clamps. Fuel lines, filters, raw water strainer and work all the sea cocks. May want to pull a little fuel off the bottom of the tank. When we flew airplanes you always tried to maintain things so they didn't break. If it gives you peace of mind, two hundred dollars is not such a big price. Thanks, Mark.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I was thinking the same thing... Rebuild the alternator and starter now, I'll know they work. If I knew anybody that rebuilt fuel distribution pumps, I'ld do that too. At The very least I'm doing all hoses, clamps, belts and filters.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

OK, I got to ask, have you started this motor yet??????
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”