• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer Mount Boat Lift

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Trailer Mount Boat Lift

Post by rnummi »

Anybody ever use Brownell's trailer mount boat lift? I've got a bit of a conundrum. After purchasing the boat, I realized the trailer side supports aren't in the best shape. I've hunted down the above to perhaps supply some additional support for its 5 mike journey to a boat lift. I'm pretty sure they were designed for stationary lifting off the bunks. That being said, I would only be using them as additional supports mounted to the trailer frame. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Failing the above, how do I get a boat off the trailer and picked up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: Trailer Mount Boat Lift

Post by Sprig1 »

The boat is looking pretty respectable. This is pretty bush league but I would use 2x4s or 2x6s and brace from the hull to trailer frame. Make a bunk that will go to the along the hull. I'm a big fan off a lot of screws to make it strong
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Yep, I get that from a lot of my friends too... The problem after spending countless hours working on it is that I don't want it sideways on the road to the boat lift. I unfortunately went to law school so I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about worse case scenarios. Check out some of my earlier pics.... I don't think it's safe to move actually.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I'm one of the biggest worry warts out there. I try to study as much as I can and assess the situation before I make any move and then Im still wrong sometimes. How about taking it off the trailer then. You have boat stands. Check out a utube vidio on it. Then getting a boat hauler to come pick it up. You might have to cut the trailer up in some places. In that case block it up and cut the trailer out from under it and haul it to the scrap yard. I will shut up now
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Your trailer doesn't look that bad to me. Drive slowly on an early Sunday morning when few other people are on the road and it looks to me like it would do fine. If you have doubts, bring in a mobile welder to reinforce any questionable metal.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Held together by prayer.... Is it salvageable? I don't know. Have opinions like "daughter up steel over weak sections and your good to go" to "buy another set of Brownell's and cut it away". Opinions are appreciated. If you go to www.boatlift.com which is Brownell's web site, they sell a system that's designed to lift your boat off trailer to bottom paint. Costs 645 or so... Carefully examine the bunk supports in the pics. I'm thinking they wouldn't hold up a feather. Trailer has been sitting stationary for 6 years, appears PO didn't rinse off after last salt water immersion. All bunk support welds are looking iffy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I'll butt in with my $0.02... I wouldn't use the boat lift as security, for it to work the lift would have to be bearing the weight, not the bunks, and those are not designed to move a boat, one good bump and they could fail, they are designed for stationary boats. If you bear the weight on the bunks and they fail...same thing sudden I crease of load on the stand could make them fail, or damage the boat. I would investigate the welds deeper, clean up the metal and see what you actually have for strength. If those joints are done then sister them with some heavy steel to bear the load till you can dump the boat. If you can't weld then I would make up all the peices and get a mobile welder to come out and weld em up for you...much safer in the long run than your plan IMO
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Actually I was just going to call a boat mover and yell "help" and see what they quoted....
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Best idea I've heard yet. I was surprised how cheap some will work for.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea that's likelt to be your best/safest option
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

On the other hand.... No just kidding. I'm going to do that. I did like the build a cradle on the trailer idea. What hypothetically are we talking about? Lag bolted 2x8s doubled up? Presumably you double up the 2x8s, maybe triple up, replacing the decrepit verticals supporting the bunks?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I think I would do what Jermey said wrap on the welds and bad spots with a hammer and see where it's bad. Just looking at the pictures I would start by putting a beam down each side across all the cross supports and block up from there to stop it from tilting. On the bow I would slid a 6x6 or 4x6 underneath it across the the trailer rails. That's just a guess from looking at a picture. By the time you buy the wood and mess with it you probably hire someone to move it. But what fun is that. Heard a good one "why buy it for $10.00 when you can make it yourself for $20.00"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Yep, I got that. I'm going with the boat mover. Now, it's just an academic question for contemplation on a cold winters day. So big ole beams down each side with braces. A big old beam both forward and aft creates the base of the "cradle" essentially a big wooden box resting on the trailer. How do you fasten it to the trailer? U bolts? Lag bolts into the trailer frame?. Secondly, would you create new "bunks" off the new wood base? My guess is you would have to cross brace each vertical coming off the base.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “Albin Maintenance”