• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31te with Cat 3126

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

31te with Cat 3126

Post by Jforesta »

Does anyone have any info on this combo. I am looking at a '96.
Anything you can share would be a help. Cruise speed, max speed, fuel burn? Any pro's or con's
Thanks
Joe
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Eastern NC

Re: 31te with Cat 3126

Post by Steam Flyer »

Jforesta wrote:Does anyone have any info on this combo. I am looking at a '96.
Anything you can share would be a help. Cruise speed, max speed, fuel burn? Any pro's or con's
Thanks
Joe

We just bought a 2000 31TE with the Cat 3126. I have cared for smaller, non-turbo marine diesels for many years and initially, this engine is intimidating. It's big, it's loud, it's complicated. But it's still a diesel, it's primary needs are clean fuel and good lubrication. Because it's a turbo it also needs clean air, and because it's powerful (at least relative to all my previous engines) it needs LOTS of flow of all the above.

Zincs- our engine has 11 zincs. I am still working out the best place to buy them, or how often to change them. I also want to install 2 more zincs on the heat exchangers

Oil- it holds 6+ gallons of oil. I just did our first oil change, and fortunately the engine room is a relatively roomy & comfy place to work.

Fuel- For some reason, many boat owners think that changing fuel filters is a huge deal. It shouldn't be. I changed ours first thing, because there's no such thing as fuel that's too clean and there's no telling what the Previous Owner put in the tanks or how long it's been sitting there. I changed it again after a 6 hour run (including some choppy water which stirred up the tanks nicely), and there was some glop in the filter but it would have run fine for quite a while longer. I'll change it again within a few months, just to make sure we're getting the muck out of the tanks and NOT running it thru the engine.

We "delivered" the boat from Annapolis Maryland down to our home in North Carolina. This included some fairly rough weather (3 ~ 4 ft chop on the Chesapeake) and some nice runs at fast cruise. We ran about 34 1/2 hours total, approx 360 miles, burning somewhere around 230 gals of fuel.

At idle, our boat goes 4 1/2 to 5 knots; at 1200 RPM ~ 8 kt; 2000 RPM ~ 12 kt; 2400 rpm ~ 16 kt. At wide-open-throttle we can't quite get full rated RPM but 2850 RPM ~ 19.9 kts... it just won't seem to hit 20...

I think it's a good power plant and am really looking forward to using our new boat more & more. We wish you good luck.

- Doug
'Sugar Magnolia' 2000 Albin 31TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Joe, that era 3126 can be in the series where there were casting issues. Get the serial number and contact HO Penn in Holtsville.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Rob,
Already checked out with Gregory Poole Cat in New Burn. NC. You are right. Some of the 3116 and 3126 were built in France and had what the called a soft Block. Checked the numbers with them and the block is clean.. They overhauled the engine at 500 hours because the turbo blew and the owner kept running the engine creating extensive damage to the tune of 21,000. New Pistons, valves turbo, riser.
Blow a turbo, shut it down.I Not sure yet what to do. You know the old saying, I know what I have............

Want to get as much info and research.
Merry Christmas.

Thank you Doug for your info
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Doug,
Something does not look right in your fuel calculations. What did you average gph?
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Jforesta wrote:Doug,
Something does not look right in your fuel calculations. What did you average gph?
Doing the math, Doug reported an average of 6.7GPH and 1.6MPG.
For a mixed bag of running that seems about right, no?

With the price of fuel these days, who cares!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Thanks Rob.
Trying to get an idea of how much fuel the 31 will burn running from Annapolis to Huntington NY, 270mi.
I don't think I will be running up at 10 knots.
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Jforesta wrote:Thanks Rob.
Trying to get an idea of how much fuel the 31 will burn running from Annapolis to Huntington NY, 270mi.
I don't think I will be running up at 10 knots.
So she's yours or you're just "wondering" ?
If so when are you doing the trip ?

Also, why did the turbo blow? Be sure the exhaust design is proper to protect from any seawater intrusion into the turbo and that she is propped right (not overloaded) That's a 2,800 rpm engine so 2,850-2,875 would be good.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Rob, just getting through the process. Have signed sales agreement pending survey and sea trial. Album catapillar in Annapolis is going to do the sea trial and engine survey. Hopefully a week from Monday.
Don't know why the turbo blew but we will be looking close at the exhaust design. I here when Cat does the survey and sea trial, they put the engine and boat through the paces. Have a signed sales agreement on Abbastanza ( formally Toyriffic) pending survey and seatrial. She will be going down to the eastern shore MD.
They will be getting a great boat. Will be sad to see her go.
If all goes well, will be looking on taking her up around first week in April.
You can see her on yachtworld. The only 31 in Annapolis sale pending.
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Eastern NC

Post by Steam Flyer »

RobS wrote:
Jforesta wrote:Doug,
Doing the math, Doug reported an average of 6.7GPH and 1.6MPG.
For a mixed bag of running that seems about right, no?

With the price of fuel these days, who cares!
That's right (except I -DO- care, fuel may be less expensive but why waste it).

Very mixed running- we spent about 1/3 the time at trawler speeds ~ 10 knots (largely due to bad weather), 1/3 of the time at a crawl due to bad weather or tight canals or traffic, and 1/3 of the time at 'fast cruise' 16~17 knots. We did this trying to make miles and get home on a reasonable schedule.

Judging from the boat's attitude, wake, and what I can judge of the fuel needle's travel across the gage, "trawler speed" in the 8~12 knot range is very inefficient for this boat. When we are cruising with a free schedule, I expect to generally go fast or slow. The commonly quoted fuel consumption for these boats is "around 2 miles per gallon" and I think it's accurate.

If you can't go fast, go slow!

Jforesta, by now you're home, right? Do tell!

- Doug
'Sugar Magnolia' 2000 Albin 31TE
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

The Cat 3126. I like these engines so long as you have the good block - which you do. I have run Cat's in motorhomes and they go forever with care, and proper maintainance. Several of our PNG have the Cats and they do great as well.
whwells "Howard"
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Leaving Annapolis on 4/19 expecting to arrive in Huntington NY on 4/21 with lay over in Atlantic City.
Will report.
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

You'll be running up past me then. Feel free to stop by shady lady in key harbor marina, good fuel prices and a nice resturant right at the marina...she will be getting splashed this Friday and if all goes to plan have some tog in her by sunday;)
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”