• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rear top options

What to do?

Keep it long
63%
Shorten it
38%

Total votes: 8

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Rear top options

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So I went ahead and bought a rear "bimini" frame and top for my 28te. It's full length. The question I have this...do I use it as it stands or cut it down to the first crossbar. My worry is it getting in the way of fishing, but would love it for the cruising we want to do. Not gonna do much if any casting and usually side hand anyway. I think I'll be able to pass the rod around the verticals. Just wanted some input from the boards. Short or long?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rear top options

Post by Jeremyvmd »

One of the benefits of leaving it full size is I can consider ditching the half sides and having full camper enclosure made. But again it's a rod interference issue. Someone's gotta have an opinion. Lol
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

seems to me your opinion is the only one that matters on your boat. we all use our boats a little differently.

on my boat would never have the rear bimini or the hardware that goes along with it. i use the taylor made sunshade for sun and light rain protection while at anchor.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Very true in the end...just got cabin fever and was wondering what other people's opinions were...
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

Post by chesapeake albin »

I thought about this and decided a bimini was not what I wanted. I did have a slanted piece of canvas made that covers the cockpit when not on the boat.

My boat gets used mainly for kids jumping off the back and I knew the fixed thing would get in the way. when need it I stretch a tarp from the radar arch to 2 boats hooks and get a temporary bimini and this works great for me.

How are the rest of the projects coming along. Wait till you hear what is taking place on my boat. 5 weeks and still waiting for it to be done.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Had to take a break from my boat to recover from surgery. So far the electronics are mounted and working except the 7" screen won't turn on and I still have to wire up the vhf. The trim tabs still need to be wired, the pumps still need to be replaced (sitting in the cabin), still need to dig out the core and install the transducer, setup the nmea network, splice the transducer cable back together, still need to do with wipers, sand, rename and coat the hull, need to buy and replace one bilge pump and the shower sump. Other than that im doing pretty good...yea I remember you were having some issues. What happened with that?
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Jeremyvmd: I like the rear cover. It is a problem for fishing at least trolling or just throwing out the line. My Sabre has the full hardtop cover and while it is
great in bad weather it is not ideal for fishing. My former Albin 35re with open rear was much better. Cutting it back half way may be the best of all worlds.
whwells "Howard"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Can you post up a pic of the rear of your saber?
That's my biggest fear is it interfering with fishing. Most of my casting/inshore stuff I'll do off my small boat, but the offshore wreck and jersey (read small) tuna fishin will off the albin
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

DSCN0855.JPG
My rear bimini folds forward up against the hard top or folds down on the transom. To put back up takes less than 2 minutes. When up it provides shade and when down on the transom, it doesn't interfere with fishing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mines not a true bimini. It's a rear solid frame. My original plan was to build a short food extension but when I saw this on Craigslist (didn't even know it had been listed on here on 2014 till after the sale) I made the guy what I thought was an insulting offer because I wasn't sure it was going to work, but he took it and for what I have into it I can cut it up and not feel bad...
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

DSC01894.JPG
I found a better shot of the bimini up.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Here's a few more pics of the top im starting with - thes are not of my boat. The top Is still sitting in my yard.
Last edited by Jeremyvmd on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Serenity. That's a nice bimini. Me and the wife considered one but had settled on a short roof extension. But then this came up and it got our gears turning.

If you look at the pics above it would be pretty easy to cut it off right behind the first crossbar. The mount should be strong enough to support it. The idea would be to find some sort of quick release inserts that would allow me to remove the rear section. But I don't know if such an item exists...
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Shady Lady, why not have a canvas guy put a zipper in.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea zipper img the canvas is the easy part. Need something for the metal frame so I can remove the rear section. Might have to talk to a marine welder...see what we can come up with. Ahh the options. Lol

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”