• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Repowering albin 28te by Rob at superior.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Bassman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bay Shore NY

Repowering albin 28te by Rob at superior.

Post by Bassman »

Hello all, newbie here so let me introduce myself. My name is Gee but my fishing buddies prefer calling me bassman .I have owned several boats but my favorite is definitely my albin 28te. She is a 1996 engine box design that I have owned for the past 10 years with the peninsular 6.5 engine. I do a lot of fishing and the engine served me well up until about 2300 hours then it got tired and gave up.
I really love the boat, she handled really well in rough water and I just could not part with her, so I met diesel mechanic Rob from superior who is a great guy and very knowledgeable about diesel engines to discuss repowering. I Was thinking of going with a used Cummins 370hp but Rob directed me to someone who had a yanmar 6lpa dtp which is a 260hp with 873 hours and said the motor will do me just fine. So I struck a deal for the motor , hauled the boat to Rob's marina, Windswept. Got really excited and thought I was gonna get the boat in a few days but they are very busy now and so I have to patiently wait until January 4th when Rob will be working on my boat. Can't wait!!! Will let you all know how things go.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Repowering albin 28te by Rob at superior.

Post by whwells »

Welcome Bassman: The Yanmar is a good choice for the 28te as were they in my former 35te. Your has a little less HP than most of the 300-315 but will be a great fisher for you. I know others have made the switch although many have chosen to stay we a new Beast. Will be interesting to know the costs to change over. Hope you can share that with us all.
whwells "Howard"
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Bassman, life can be good when you find the right boat. Was wondering, what caused the engine loss at 2300 hours? Thanks, Mark.
Bassman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bay Shore NY

Post by Bassman »

Thanks guys. Will definitely let you know the repower cost when its done. Mark, the guys at peninsular are great, been dealing with them since I got the boat. However, my engine started overheating about 2000 hours at 3200 rpm and seemed like we could not have found the reason even after we replaced most of the major parts until a piston rod broke through the oil pan while doing 3200 rpm with a full load. I almost went back with a peninsular but got a good deal with the yanmar. The Cummins was way above my budget.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Good Luck and please keep us posted, I'm on season three with my Peninsular powered 1997 28te, repower is always in the back of your mind on a 18 year old power plant,real world dollar cost would be great if you feel inclined to reveal what it really costs to repower Pete

Return to “New Member Introductions”