• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins block heater

chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

Cummins block heater

Post by chesapeake albin »

Cummins 6bta

Can I leave my block heater on while I am not on the boat for the next few weeks till it is hauled? or would this damage it some how?

How long should I have it on for to get the engine warmed up before starting?

I am in Maryland and next week its starting to get cold I see

Thanks again
Travis
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Cummins block heater

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I wouldn't leave a block heater on for a few weeks. I don't know if it would actually damage anything but I think you would at least damage the block heater itself...but im not an expert so im sure someone else can step in with a better answer. If be more worried about the water in strainers and exhaust than the block getting cold...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Travis, I too am in MD. First of all I cannot help you with the block heater question, there are all kinds and some are made for constant duty. This is what I do so I can continue to fish into December. I have already winterized the fresh water system, but thats it. This weekend I will do the head and the saltwater wash down, live well. I will not do the A/C - Heat or the motor unless we get a real cold snap that either lasts for days, or never gets above freezing for more that a day. If that happens, a case of potable antifreeze @ 20$ is short money for piece of mind. If its only going to get real cold for a night or two, somtimes I will leave the heat on at its lowest setting, but that is probably not even needed. It does feel good though to start the morning off with a warm boat. I then use a coleman tent heater that runs on propane to keep the cabin toasty while fishing all day. They say that in the fall you are pretty safe unless the water the boat is sitting in freezes. I had that happen once with my old boat, but had dumped some antifreeze in the engine and it was fine. Water temps in the bay right now are still in the mid to lower 50's. Thats the best heater you can get for anything a couple feet above the surface!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had the circulating type of block heater on the Cummins in my previous boat in Norfolk, VA. I kept it on throughout the winter. One of the great advantages of a block heater is to prevent condensation inside the engine which causes it to rust internally and lead to early failure. This is a reason that commercial fisherman get many more hours out of their diesels than a recreational boater. When the engine sits the oil runs off the surface of the metal exposing it to condensation. I had an engine driven cockpit heater so having instant starting and almost instant heat was another advantage for those January striper trips.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I had a Cummins with a block heater and left it on for weeks several times. Never hurt a thing.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I've always embraced block heaters on diesel engines. Even winterized, my block heater in my Cummins goes 24 - 7 all winter long, keeping things toasty and it helps prevent any internal condensation.

The John Deere tractor with a Yanmar in it stays plugged in all winter as well. Starts up warm and ready for action when the snow flies! Last, but not least when I had a Mercedes diesel that block stayed plugged in as well, even when in the garage. The heat was instant as I drove away. I say, Use it!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

Post by chesapeake albin »

thanks everybody,
pitou, I would love an opinion on my radar issue, what do you think of radar placement on the 28, I made a post in the electronics place.
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Chesapeake - it doesn't hurt anything to leave it on full-time, but my 120V Cummins OE block heater only lasted a season or two before failing (just quit working - nothing dangerous). However, it kept my 6B very warm when left on constantly, like 110-120 F. On Tony Athen's advice, I replaced it with the Cummins 240V heater element running on the same 120V circuit. I leave it on probably 9 months of the year in Virginia and it keeps the engine about 70-80 F, warm enough to start smoothly even on a cold winter day. I've been running the same heater for 10 or 11 years like this.

I highly recommend running a 240V block heater continuously on a 120V circuit - it keeps things plenty warm enough for all of the benefits of block heaters (easy cold weather starting, preventing condensation, and even some freeze protection of the on-engine raw water circuit before you need to winterize for good) but does'nt cook the engine or run up such a huge electric bill, and it will last basically forever.

But now I'm depressed because I'm thinking about the cold weather coming - it's been a great Fall so far in the mid-Atlantic. Let's hope it lasts awhile longer!!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”