• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sealant choices

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Sealant choices

Post by DCatSea »

Although the seal between the rub rail and deck (on our 1984 27FC) is very sound and dry, it is looking very ratty, and needs to be replaced sooner rather than later, if only for aesthetic reasons.

I have 2 questions:

1) http://www.goodoldboat.org/reader_servi ... ealant.php offers a fine write-up on the diversity in modern sealants, from the old standby silicones to modern epoxy-based sealants. I am tempted to go with plain old Boatlife Life Seal, however, as the voices-of-experience on AOG have been a valuable resource for me I would welcome any advice that owners can give regarding which sealant they have used in this situation.

2) I assume that I should dig out the existing sealant before replacing, but if anyone has experience of this, and disagrees, please let me know before I get out the scrapers and knives in the spring.

Thanks

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Sealant choices

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I use 4200 for everything that needs to be sealed or bedded. From transducers to clear to railings on other boats. Gonna use it to reved the radar arch too. All in all I think it's your best option. I would clean every last remnant of the old sealer out of there. It's not doing you any good and it will prevent whatever you plan on putting in there from bonding correctly.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I used 3M 4000uv for the seam between the pilot house and the deck. I thought it was the best caulk I ever used. I dug out the old caulk and it was an onerous task but some of it was not adhering and would leak.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Second the 4200. Used that on advice of boatyard to seal my the joint between the foredeck and hull under the rubrail on my 31 TE. Did not use 5200 because once you put on 5200 it stays on forever and you can't get it off. Has worked great without any leaks for 7 years now.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”