• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Timing Belt Replacement 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Re: Timing Belt Replacement 28TE

Post by Maye Marie »

I agree with Robs if it has not failed it has not done any harm either.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

RobS wrote:
Norseman wrote:Got the service recommendation from my local Yanmar shop today,
It says to replace the belt every 1250 hrs or 5 years.
The boat I am looking at is 4 years overdue and the sellers broker says there is not need to change the belt.
Think I will walk away from this deal, ticking time-bomb come to mind.

Walking away from the boat because timing belt is overdue? That's drastic. Why not just have price adjusted accordingly. FWIW, they all come out looking like new, but yes failure is catastrophic.
Nah, there was a lot more to the deal than the timing belt being way overdue.
If the belt was the only item I would just demand it being changed before delivery.

The seller and the seller's broker however insisted the belt was not due for replacement yet.
Shows a bit ignorance and not the kind of people you want to buy a boat from.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Any boat you buy is gonna have its issues, no matter what the price range. All you have to do is decide what your willing to deal with. Some issues are major, some minor but they all have then, even the best boats have their issues. I don't think its a matter of ignorance that they said the belt is fine, more likely they are downplaying it in hopes of making the sale.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Any boat you buy is gonna have its issues, no matter what the price range. All you have to do is decide what your willing to deal with. Some issues are major, some minor but they all have then, even the best boats have their issues. I don't think its a matter of ignorance that they said the belt is fine, more likely they are downplaying it in hopes of making the sale.
Well, it is either ignorance, or if they know the belt is 4 years overdue but trying to say it is not, then they are lying.
Of course every boat has issues, God knows I have owned enough boats to know that for a fact.
All I am looking for is a well maintained boat with service records and I am willing to pay more for a cream-puff than a dog.
Even some 28TEs with an asking price of $85k has spotty maintenance and numerous important issues on the survey.
Not sure I want to exceed $85k as I would still pay sales tax, transport cost and in some cases, an autopilot install and now we are right at $100k. Serious money for a 10 year old 28' production boat.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”