• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member--Kerry in Denver

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

New Member--Kerry in Denver

Post by kerrye »

I joined a couple of weeks ago. Been sailors for a while but want to travel some of the canals in Eastern Canada and US and an Albin 25 seems like a good boat for that. Since we live in Denver a trailerable boat is a requirement. Been looking around for one and have some leads at the moment but if anyone knows of one available let me know.
I have a question, the answer to which might depend upon the insight of multiple eyes: Is the trailer for this Albin too short or is it an optical illusion?

<>
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Member--Kerry in Denver

Post by kerrye »

Also, is anyone familiar with that particular boat? According to this post on the trawler forum it was for sale with the same pictures more than a year ago and had sold a few months before that.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/albin-25-aft-cabin-craigslist-texas-15185.html
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Kerrye, welcome to the form. The Albin 25 seems to pop up for sale on this site a time or two a month. A Google search should should turn up a few. I am afraid that Denver is not a hot bed of activity for Albins for sale, you may have to do some traveling. We live in central Florida and spent most of a year looking for an Albin 27 FC. Do not become dis heartened, if you look long enough and hard enough your boat will find you. Hope the best for you in your search. Thanks, Mark.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I joined a couple of weeks ago. Been sailors for a while but want to travel some of the canals in Eastern Canada and US and an Albin 25 seems like a good boat for that.
You mean like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Yep, that's what I have in mind, although the Rideau Canal is highest on my list due to it still being in its originally designed condition. I have friends that live on the Seneca Canal branch of the Erie. The lock in your picture is just down from their house.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We ran the Erie from Seneca Lake to Fairport & back in 5 days. We only had a limited amount of time to spend on the canal from May 30th to June 3rd even though we had trailered all the way from Phoenix, due to the fact that we were supposed to be in Rhode Island by June 6th to meet with a group of friends and spend the following week at a beach house on Block Island Sound. From there we went on down to the Cheaspeake Bay for 2 weeks of cruising in the middle bay between the Nanticoke River, Cambridge, St. Michaels and Oxford on the Eastern Shore and Solomons and the Patuxent River on the Western shore. We couldn't leave home any earlier because we had a grandson's high school graduation to go to on May 21st.

We saw a lot of waterfront homes on the canals, including this one that had an "African Queen" replica steam launch tied up at their dock. We transited all 4 locks on the CS canal, and 7 others on the main Erie canal. The locks were much easier and quicker to get through that I had expected, and hardly any traffic on the canals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'd like to run down to Watkins Glen and Ithaca also while on the CS canal but there's not a lot of sheltered anchorages on the Finger Lakes. There is dockage at the state park about a third of the way down Seneca on the east side.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'd like to run down to Watkins Glen and Ithaca also while on the CS canal but there's not a lot of sheltered anchorages on the Finger Lakes. There is dockage at the state park about a third of the way down Seneca on the east side.
We only went on Seneca Lake so we could use the State Park launch ramp and have a secure place to park our boat and trailer & headed straight for the canal. Might have been fun to spend some time on the lake, but we were on a tight schedule and wanted to maximize our time on canals.

BTW, here's a 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe listed for sale on Boat Trader, repowered in 2014 with new Isuzu engine with only 70 hours on the meter for $15K. It's the only Albin 25 currently listed on Boat Trader. I assume it's still for sale.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1977-ALBIN-25-Deluxe-102616435

It's in Rhode Island, a long way form Denver and does not come with trailer, but if you're looking for something for East coast cruising it might be worth checking out. This is the kind of deal one looks for, worth hiring a local surveyor to check it out. It's being handled by a broker, so certainly some kind of long distance deal could be made and have it hauled out, winterized, and stored in a boatyard nearby until next summer when you could get a trailer for it. It's a fun road trip to New England. We did it last year with our boat, which in summer you can camp in the boat on the way back.

Here's the ad copy straight from the listing:
Overall condition is fair to good, the new re-power in 2014 bumps her into the above average category. All she really needs is some TLC, mostly some fine sandpaper and some oiling of the Teak, a little cleaning. This seller bought her in the spring of 2014 and upgraded as follows........ - Rewired completely w/ new panel installed - Engine disconnected and rewired. - New Reverse Gear - New Topside Paint - New Head - New Sunbrella Aft-Cabin and V-berth Cushions - Garmin EchoMap 50s This representative stepped aboard to inspect and photograph this vessel on August 18, 2015. She's almost 40 years old and needs cosmetic work, structurally she is sound. The hull is in good shape, the decks are solid and all of the windows are hardened glass and still sealed tight. I asked the seller specifically if there was any leaking anywhere...........he said, "NO!" Sadly, it is the sellers' bad back that's forcing him to sell. **************************************************** Both the original owners manual and the Isuzu manual are available, along with other records. ****************************************************
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “New Member Introductions”