• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New owners of 97 28TE Neil and Sue

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

New owners of 97 28TE Neil and Sue

Post by Neil »

Hi
My wife and I purchased Johns boat, Odysseus. We hauled her for the survey,and will winter her ther in Clinton CT.
It's our first boat , so it's going to be an excruciatingly long winter of waiting to take her out! We are new to boating and grateful to have this forum to ask you all a thousand annoying questions. We look forward to meeting some of you out there, and please tell us when we are trolling our bumpers like newbies.
Neil and Sue
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: New owners of 97 28TE Neil and Sue

Post by catalina_mike »

Ask away and welcome where the only annoying question is the one you ask three times....
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Neil wrote:.... and please tell us when we are trolling our bumpers like newbies.
Neil and Sue
Which on the VHF is known as hanging your laundry out if you are ever accused of it..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Welcome aboard! We are nearby in Essex CT. I got my Albin 28 TE 10 years ago in September and it was good to at least use it for a couple of months. Even so, each winter is an annoyingly long time to wait to get the boat back in the water where it belongs.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, Neil and Sue!

A couple of ideas to get you through the long winter - read Chapman's Piloting. Consider taking a boating course.

Oh, and they're called fenders, but you probably already knew that. 8)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Thank you,
Nice to hear from you, Chapmans should be arriving today in the mail! We both have our boating course, Susan has her six pack. She drives the fire rescue boat in Stratford. I'm a newbie boater. All good advice, "hanging out the laundry" hahah very funny stuff. Our boat has the 300 hp beast in it. We will own this boat for ten years, the thought of re powering at some point has occurred to us. Any of you re power? Did you go to a yanmar or rebuild your beast?
I'd love it if that engine kept on rolling for us, we will keep up the maintenance and see how it goes.
Thanks for the help!
Neil
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

I'm just figuring out all that's available on this site, amazing. All my questions have already been answered. Except why the former owner posted 750 hrs when he bought it in 2013, and sold it to me with a new tach and assurances that it had 800 hrs............hmmmm.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Neil wrote:I'm just figuring out all that's available on this site, amazing. All my questions have already been answered. Except why the former owner posted 750 hrs when he bought it in 2013, and sold it to me with a new tach and assurances that it had 800 hrs............hmmmm.
I believe John sold the boat because he didn't have time to use it. And from what I recall reading on his posts it appeared most of the time he was on the boat it was for installing upgrades.. A lot of upgrade posts and pictures, no fishing and cruising pictures. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

I'm not going to worry. We are so happy about the boat.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Congrats on the new boat. I don't know the boat personally but based on his posts you got a great boat. This is the best time to buy, you have the whole fall/winter/spring to get the boat the way you want it!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Hey Thanks
We are excited to do the work ourselves. Sue helped pull our friends diesel out of his old wood boat the other day , it's good to see one 360• . We bought a book called" how boat things work" I know sounds dumb, but it's incredibly useful!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Whatever it takes! Can never have too many resources at your fingertips...lol. I grew up on boats...I was first on one when I was only 2 weeks old, and it was a weekly if not twice a week thing my entire life. I still learn something new everytime i read or ask questions. This is my first time working on my own diesel boat so that has been a bit of a curve!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Neil and Sue,

Welcome to AOG. I'm sure you'll have a better chance than me to enjoy "Odysseus". My life changed in many ways (divorce, 2 kids in college, etc..,) not allowing me the time to really enjoy her and do the cruising I wanted to, but that's OK. I picked up a 25' Whaler I owned previously so I could still get out on the water.

She's in great hands with you two and I hope to see you down at the marina this winter.

Merry Christmas,

John
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome Neil & Sue: Congra's on the purchase of a fine and well cared for boat. I saw that from the many posting of the former owner. Not sure what I might add that has not already be said or suggested. However, if the boat is dry docked and available to you during the winter a lot can be learned by exploring the boat and its many components. You can also get a nav. program for your iPad and study the area's you will want to explore. I like Navionics and with the touch screen you can travel from home pretty much where ever you might next season go on the water. It is also my back up on the boat in the event the boat system should fail.
It is also good to have some basic charts of the area's you plan to explore.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”