• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Best Free fall anchor windlass?

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Best Free fall anchor windlass?

Post by Pedro »

I'm planning on purchasing an anchor windlass over the winter, my mech told me the Lewmars are good but the free fall models stop working well in a year or two and need some attention.does anybody have exp with a free fall model? Doesn't matter the brand I'm just looking for positive experiences to identify a good windlass, I want to do this once,Pete
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Best Free fall anchor windlass?

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I've done a bit of research, but don't have one yet. My plan is to go with a "good" windlass. They seem from reports to be tough as nails and are designed to hold the boat on the windlass unlike the lewmars. They have a good warenty as well. Doesn't hurt that their factory is about 30 min from my house and boat (halfway between the two) and I pass them every time I head down to the boat so service will be easy and the factory will come out and install it.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I have a Good Windlass on FP2 - does the job and is pretty rock solid, the only downside is parts availability for me over here but I will say Tim who works in sales has managed to ship parts out to me within a week and got me up and running again.

The downside with the Good set up is the 50 amp breaker, it is right on the tipping point of the motor and any extra load, i.e. heavy seas - the thermal breaker needs to be reset. I've since upped mine to an 80 amp breaker and it all seems to work perfectly now.

Don't expect to be able to use the windlass from the helm, the rode has a tendency to coil up due to the lack of drop in the anchor locker.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My 28 TE has the Lewmar Pro Fish http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8330 I have anchored a couple of times and it worked great. I also have the wireless option so I can raise and lower on deck (no foot buttons installed). 40' of chain and 300' of rode.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Catalina Mike ,What do you have for an anchor?
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Wow Mike you have done a lot to that boat! looks great, Did you replace the helm seat? That upgrade is coming soon for me,Where did you get yours? I'd go with the same look, I have the same green hull tan color scheme on mine,Pete
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

We recovered what was there for now. I want something with flip up arm rests but fitting will be dificult as we like to swivle and hang out.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Let me interject here, Good windlass, I believe, will not handle chain (other than a little lead, 10', just past the anchor).

If you anchor anywhere that you will need any length of chain the Good windlass will not handle it, they don't have a gypsy on the windlass.

Also, don't know if you are looking at a horizontal or vertical windlass.

Our anchor rode is currently 50' of chain and 200' of 8 plait. I'm adding 200' of chain prior to spring launch.

We put a Lofrans Tigress, which may be more than you need for your boat, on our Albin, which has a chain gypsy on one side and a capstan on the other.

Lofrans makes other windlass and I am happy with ours.

Don't know why you necessarily want a free fall but if I loosen the clutch on the Tigress it will free fall, we just use the foot pedals to lower the anchor. Seems more controlled and you don't get a mass on the bottom from the free fall energy of the drop.

Just my 2 cents.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

I use chain on my Good Windlass - they do indeed have a gypsy on them
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Had a GOOD WINDLESS installed 6 years ago, works great with 15 feet of chain. Yes the chain occasionally jams so I usually pull up to start of chain and drop it in the locker I had a lewmar on a previous 22", felt like a toy compared to the heavy duty Good. They have great customer service also
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

zinbaad wrote:Had a GOOD WINDLESS installed 6 years ago, works great with 15 feet of chain. Yes the chain occasionally jams so I usually pull up to start of chain and drop it in the locker I had a lewmar on a previous 22", felt like a toy compared to the heavy duty Good. They have great customer service also

That could be down to your rode to chain splice - we had problems initially but once i put a longer splice in, it works fine now. Also the pitch of the chain is critical - Lewmar and Lofrans do similar chains to the one that is specified but Good but they are just not quite right so will jam.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”