• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE steering let go..........

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

28TE steering let go..........

Post by Mike Monte »

Hello:
My 2001 TE's steering stopped working the last time out. My son and I were 15 miles from port when the steering wheel's resistance started skipping ie; no resistance and then resistance (air in the hydraulic line?). This went on for 30 minutes. By the time we got back to port I had to use the bow thruster to steer as the wheel spins (with no resistance) without moving the rudder.

I believe that there is a leak in the hydraulic system.

I know that the steering needs to be serviced (I would like to get this addressed over the winter), however, the boatyard that winter-stores my boat(Standish in Tiverton, RI) is .5 miles from my port and I would like to take the boat there myself.

Is there any way for me to refill the hydraulic fluid myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Monte
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Re: 28TE steering let go..........

Post by Serenity »

on my 28te there is a fill plug at the base of the steering wheel.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: 28TE steering let go..........

Post by Russell »

This happened in my previous 97 Albin and I now carry a bottle of fluid (Seastar I think) and a syringe with a piece of tubing on the end that fits in the hole behind the wheel. You can pour small amounts into the open back of the syringe and just pinch it off when full. Keep everything scrupulously clean but you do not need to buy the kit they sell that screws into the hole. Keep turning the wheel to pump the fluid into the lines until it works properly.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”