• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A novel idea: Building an RC model of your boat.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

A novel idea: Building an RC model of your boat.

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just wondering, has anyone out there ever thought of or attempted to build a scale RC model of their boat? In my case an Albin 25 for which scale line drawings, other than the drawings shown in the owner manual, do not exist.

That would be so cool to have a model of one's boat to have on display, with the added benefit of being an electric powered working RC model. But making one from scratch and getting all the curves and shapes right? I've seen some YouTube videos of building an RC boat model with foam board, and others with balsa. I've built a model steam launch from a kit before which was a hard chine design, but drawing up plan s and making one's own frames etc with all the hull curves is another matter.

I have built a small balsa model steam launch from a Midwest Products kit before, so I have a little experience. Just would have to come up with my own plans & design the frames.

A 1:12 scale would make a 25 inch model, just about right for the mantel piece.

No reason why one couldn't come up with something like this, only as an Albin 24 (or 27, or whatever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhTXv6RZZzs

Could be a fun winter project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: A novel idea: Building an RC model of your boat.

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I did it a few years back for my dad and his whaler. It was a lot of fun. Made a scale model out of balsa that I then make a mould of and then used fiberglass to make the hull. It was a lot of work but I enjoyed it. Might try and do one for the Albin now that I think about it
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A novel idea: Building an RC model of your boat.

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Jeremy,

That's right, you're the guy from Waretown. Me being the guy originally from Barnegat. We were just there this past June with our boat in tow on the the way down from Rhode Island to Delaware. Didn't get on the water on Barnegat Bay this time, but stopped to visit my half-brother in Manahawkin and his aunt in Barnegat. My late father remarried after divorcing my mother in 1962, remarried and had 2 boys by his 2nd wife. His wife now also deceased and the aunt, Dad's sister in law, now resides in my Dad's old house on Lower Shore Rd. My mom & stepdad later moved us to Upstate NY in '67, and I moved to Arizona in '77 and been here ever since. After the family visit we loaded our Albin 25 "La Dolce Vita" on the Cape May ferry to Lewes and launched on the Nanticoke River in Blades, DE for a 2 week cruise on the Chesapeake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “General Discussion”