• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Disappointing survey today, Albin 28TE

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Disappointing survey today, Albin 28TE

Post by whwells »

Norseman: Be patient. There are lots of nice ones out there.
whwells "Howard"
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

We too kissed a few frogs on the way to getting our 2005 A28TE with Next Gen generator. Nice clean boat. But even then, it still needed a few boat bucks (and still needs a lot of elbow grease) to bring up to Bristol condition. Now we're having the hull painted in the color Teal with Awlcraft and a new bottom job (black). Should pop nicely.

Now I understand that you can buy a brand new 2015 Albin 28 Tournament Express:
<>

One 2015 listed on Yachtworld.com for $195K.

Bob
2005 A28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Ok drbob, sounds good.
Post a few pictures, would like to see.
If in your area I should take a look at the new paint job and the Bristol Condition. Engine box or flush deck?
Does anybody in the SE Florida area have a flush deck I can look at briefly?
In contact with a seller in the Boston area with a 2007 Flush Deck. Never seen one and would
Like to take a look at a local one before I buy tickets to Boston.
Heard the quarter berth are smaller and different wheel house configuration as well as shorter gunnels.
I plan to do offshore cruising and need a "deeper" cockpit, but the flush deck maybe ok for all my needs,,not sure yet.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

The rush deck looses the storage under the captains chair for just a pedestal. You do gain a sl taller dash and the 1/4 berth is much smaller (me and the wife are comfy in it on our engine box boat, but only one would fit on a flush deck)
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I would be happy to show you mine in Stuart FL but it is on the hard and extremely dirty. The seats and cushions are in my home. You could still get an idea of the layout. Let me know if you are interested.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Sure, interested, but not sure when.
I don't work much these days so I could scoot up there but working a couple of deals right now that could slow me down. When is good for you..?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I will be here till spring. I hope to have the boat in the water for guests coming for Thanksgiving. After that would be a good time. There is a 28 here in Stuart for sale. Did you look at that one? It looks good in the listing.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Ok Russel.
After thanksgiving sounds good.
My Albin search is going slow anyways and I decided to not rush it.
(There are nice ones out there for sure, but out of my budget.)
As far as the one for sale in Stuart: Yes I seen the lasting and heard it had
Problems on a survey last week with owner in denial.
I already surveyed and sea trailed 2 Albin 28TEs this year and both had hidden defects and spotty maintenance.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Norseman wrote:...it had Problems on a survey last week with owner in denial...
Well there's a first !
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Post by BobHaze »

I had kind of the opposite problem: 2001 28TE engine box model, surveyed great, Awlgripped a year ago and looked great, ran like a top; only problems surveyor noted were that the Yanmar exhaust valve guide replacement had not been done and the dripless shaft seal bellows was 5 years past manufacturer's recommendation for replacement. We used the boat for a month and loved our weekends away, then took it in for the recommended work before putting her away for the winter. $13k later I had the original work done, plus the yard found the cutlass bearing was cracked, 2 windshield wiper motors were cooked (I knew that, too), cam shaft bearings were bad and needed replacement, oil cooler was leaking at end caps, heat exchanger was leaking at end caps, raw water pump was leaking at water seal, needed new timing belt and tensioner, and air cooler end caps were leaking. Definitely more $$ than I (or the Commodore!!) had planned to spend, but on the bright side now we have an engine I can have pretty much complete faith in, reconditioned prop, resurfaced head, complete valve job, new intake valves, removed heavy calcium deposits in coolers, etc.
Bob
Former owner of 2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Sorry to hear Bob.
Sounds like your boat had a bunch of deferred maintenance too :((
What is it with owners who used their boats like they were cars? (Drive 'em around, then park, then drive again until something breaks)
Being in the Flying business I am ingrained with preventive maintenance and can't sleep if a light bulb is burned out on my boat, not to mention all the other stuff in the above posts.
On previous boat, when sailing to the Bahamas for 3-4 weeks at the time, the primary goal, besides having a good time, was to not break out the tool box the entire time. In other words, nothing was allowed to break, malfunction or needing service.
That of course was a goal as lofty as finding the perfect girlfriend or perfect wife, but I made it many times without touching the tool box(es) , or the numerous spare parts I carried. Had to raise the water line several times because of all the extra gear, tools, etc I loaded onboard.
Hate surprises, had a back-up for everything, 5 radios, 4 anchors, spare starter, spare injectors, spare heat exchanger,
more spares and tools than God. Despite that and tons of preventive maintenance, sh!t broke now and then of course.
Never had to call for help or a tow, 27 Bahamas Cruises, 30 FL Keys trips, etc.
Not anal, just picky and I hate to think folks go to sea in boats like the last Albin 28TE I had surveyed.
Not sure how the owners think, but they sure seem to get away with it, until it is time to sell the boat....
I just may have to get the cream puff in Boston, low hours, stored indoors, gentle life and all maintenance performed.
If the darn stock market would just pick up.
Gary J
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sarasota, Fl

Post by Gary J »

Hello Norseman

I am the former owner of the Amber J, 2004 28 TE. I just realized you must be our buyer that canceled. Sorry the deal didn't work out with us or a second boat you looked at. I feel you would have gotten a great boat with the Amber J. As a result of the survey we replaced the sending unit on the oil gauge and the exhaust elbow, where surveyor found a slight leak. For good measure we also changed the oil and filter even though they had low hours. We bought her new in 2004 and I can assure you the maintenance was never "spotty or lazy". She did in fact sell the very next day for $1,000 more.

Anyway the purpose of my note is not to cast stones but to let you know that the 28 TE is a great boat and to encourage you to keep looking for the right boat. This is the second 28 TE we have owned. Just remember there is no such thing as the perfect boat, whether new or 12 years old.

Regards
Gary J
Amber J (formerly)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”