• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Negative posts on marine businesses

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Negative posts on marine businesses

Post by Panhdjoe »

I would personaly perfer that we did not use our forum for negitive comments about busnisses on persons, It just does not seem to fit into the sprit of this group. We have a section for acolades but no"grip page" and I think that is for a good reason. I personaly have a beef with a Surveyor but have chosen not to publicly disparage him, other than once someone was looking fro a survayor in the same area and I sugested they PM me befor making a choice.
I was a Automobile and Truck Mechanic my entire carrier and can assure all that it is a diffulct and often thankless job. I know of no repair shop that has no unhappy customers. We all have some things we wish we could do over again and that list of jobs in our head that went bad through no fault of our own. Its darn few mechanics that will admit that things went wrong and are willing to make amends. So lets give the gentelman at Supeior Diesel a break and credit where credit is due.
There are plenty of places on the web to do reviews, I would rather we did not get into that here. other than our acolades sectio for postive ones.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Negitve posts on marine busnisses

Post by jcollins »

Joe,
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree 100%.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Post by BobHaze »

Good points about this forum. On the other hand, Active Captain, for one, has an area specifically for reviews good and bad.
Bob
Former owner of 2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I see no issue with negative posts and am actually glad to have the info. If it gets to be a pissing contest simply close the thread but keep it visible.
That's my take.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Negative posts on marine businesses

Post by DCatSea »

I agree with jleonard.

I think I have been very lucky with my choices of vendors; however, I am sure it is only a matter of time before I encounter a less-than-scrupulous or competent (in my eyes at least) business owner who thinks that classic-boat owners have a genetic need to dispense large amounts of money for shoddy work.

Hearing about issues with contractors in a closed forum provides useful warning, and as jleonard says, you don't have subscribe to a pissing contest, just read the review and move on - armed with the knowledge to at least keep a careful watch.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Always more than happy to share good experiences with venders. I also do find it a bit cowardly and immature to post up a bad negative review with out first trying to work it out with the business you are dealing with. If you have tried to reach out and give them the chance to make an amends and make it right, and they have made promise after promise and not done the right thing its like throwing salt on old wounds.
This is a closed forum as stated, some of us have THOUSANDS tied up in our boats. I as one would appreciate good or bad reviews from a forum member who has had major work & dollars spent with a mechanic BEFORE I hand over my cash. I will read through it and decide for myself whether this is a petty issue or more serious matter.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

jleonard wrote:I see no issue with negative posts and am actually glad to have the info. If it gets to be a pissing contest simply close the thread but keep it visible.
That's my take.

I agree. We need to learn about the bad shops out there.
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

I personally think that Active Captain could and should be the place for comments, both good & bad, for whatever category.

They are structured to vet the comment and make sure that the comment is appropriate. Venders and marinas continually check Active Captain and when they see a comment they know they need to respond accordingly.

Also the comment is there, categorized, that someone can go to the specific category and see the comment, months later. On this list, it's lost the next day.

That's my 2 cents.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I received a an agreed upon check on 10/27/15 of $250 from Rob Superior trying to make an amends for some work he performed.. It is never to late to try and make an amends Thank You
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

zinbaad wrote:I received a an agreed upon check on 10/27/15 of $250 from Rob Superior trying to make an amends for some work he performed.. It is never to late to try and make an amends Thank You
People can change and I still hope that most can look behind them and figure a better way to do something. That is what makes us humans, the ability to look back and correct our course. As a lad I was heading somewhere not good, but choose a better way. But that being said if you keep looking behind you you will not see what is in-front of you.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

[quote="Panhdjoe"]I would personaly perfer that we did not use our forum for negitive comments about busnisses on persons, It just does not seem to fit into the sprit of this group. We have a section for acolades but no"grip page" and I think that is for a good reason.

To weigh in, I agree with Panhdjoe

Sure like seeing the positive help and the enjoyment of all your conversations on this sight. Its part of the relaxation and enjoyment of my boating activity. Don't look for you to be my consumer protection also. I will chance it out there. Don't think my consumerism will encounter enough negativeness that would out weigh the positiveness I receive here.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

This is why I belong to this forum, you get the good news and the bad. The Albin community is so small we all need good information and bad on all dealings with the service industry and sales people. If you have a problem and they don't make good on it I would love to know before I have dealings with them. After all this is what the Internet is all about. This Albin site is the best out in the boating community.

Return to “General Discussion”