• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

galvanic isolator?

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: galvanic isolator?

Post by jms02050 »

Thx Kevin. Funny, I had all of the screws removed and was thinking about that exact location but didn't move forward b/c the rod hold insert wouldn't come out easily - lot's of sealant around the edges. Do you recall which isolator you used?
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

If its of any use I had this one installed http://www.furneauxriddall.com/cgi-bin/ ... ml#SID=115

I didn't see the need to go above 16 amp as the marina plug fittings are only rated at 16amp anyway.

I have had it mounted just below the switch panel in the cabin, hidden behind the trim - should be a pretty good chance of it not getting wet there.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

jms02050 wrote:Thx Kevin. Funny, I had all of the screws removed and was thinking about that exact location but didn't move forward b/c the rod hold insert wouldn't come out easily - lot's of sealant around the edges. Do you recall which isolator you used?
You're right as to lots of sealant. I had to carefully score the edges of mine to remove the panel and then clean it all off for resealing after the project was complete.

I installed the Newmar 30 amp Galvanic Isolator in RicM's post above. A few of us were all doing it at the same time when this thread was first circulating. This unit does not have a monitor attached and can be installed separately if desired. I did not. The ProMariner most likely has a monitor built-in and thus more pricey. I will say that after installing the Newmar on my 28 my zinc degradation was significantly minimized though out the season.

Ric's link above is still active:
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/newmar-g ... e1041.html

In my 31 there is not an isolator and there are 2 - 30 amp power plugs coming into the boat, each to separate 30 amp breakers. I only use one 30 amp inlet and it seems to be sufficient. I'll be installing one on that line during the coming winter layup and possibly another on the other line in the future.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”