• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Crazed Widows

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rbarkerscb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, N.Y.

Crazed Widows

Post by rbarkerscb »

Hi All,

I was looking at an older A25 the other day and in the windows aft and forward the Plexiglas was completely crazed with small cracks. Is there anything that can be done about this? I would doubt that new plastic is available, but has anyone solved this problem?

Rob
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Crazed Widows

Post by Pitou »

Crazed plastic or lexan windows generally mean the end of useful life. Though not available through Albin, you could have new ones made from a template at local glass shop or consider replacing with tinted glass. Boman and SeaGlaze are a couple of manufacturers of custom marine windows.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
rbarkerscb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, N.Y.

Post by rbarkerscb »

Yeah, but can they put the curvature in them? I've heard that aircraft builders can bend lexan for a canopy using a little heat. The Albin 25 windows don't look like compound curves, so it might be easy with a proper bending form. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I can't speak to your 25, but when I was looking at a Duffy 35 with crazed curved pilot house windows I had contacted two window shops that had said it would not be a problem to duplicate.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”