• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Zincs

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Zincs

Post by drbob »

We're buying a 2005 Albin 28 TE engine box model. During the haul out for the survey, the only zinc sighted was one on the rudder. Is this standard or are there other zincs that perhaps should be on this boat?
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Zincs

Post by catalina_mike »

I added a transom zinc to mine. I believe the boats were set up to have them on the rudder, trim tabs, with a shaft zinc and thruster originally. I also had to bond the swim step brackets as they were not bonded as well. My prop had a bunch of electrolysis and had to be redone so I really paid attention to the bonding as a whole. I need to look at it while I'm in Catalina and see how its going but have been having too much fun entertaining friends.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

I have 3" zincs on the trim tabs, 5" on the rudder and the thruster zinc, none on the shaft or transom. The boat was sold to me from the dealer that way. No issues with electrolysis, but I frequently take a dive to monitor during the warmer water months.
2004 28TE
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

From the manual in the supporters area... Also check the bonding because it all had to bond to somewhere. Mine did not so that is why I added the transoms zinc and bonded the factory strip next to the engine as well as my "New Underwater Lights" :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Thanks Mike. On the drawing it looks like the thick nut at end of shaft is zinc and there is a collar zinc. Neither of which are on this boat. Hmmm.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Once you get the zincs in place, get yourself one of these and install it, if you don't already have one. Zincs will last the entire season with no problems.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?pa ... id=2290032
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

On our 2003 Albin:
5" rudder zinc
3-3 1/2" trim tab zincs
Collar zinc in prop shaft
Vetus zinc on Bow Thruster

However, for the past two years, using anti-fouling Pettit Hydercoat ECO, WITH NO COPPER, the rate of sacrifice of the zincs has lessened dramatically. Why? No or little electrolysis created, because of NO COPPER. BEST PAINT EVER.
I even paint the prop..........
This season, I was able to get another year from all the zincs, that is sitting in high 70degree salt water.......pretty darn good.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

An amazing paint. All my underwater metals stayed painted and critter free, even the prop. Prop was cleaned down to bare metal. No primer, just two coats Petitt. Through hulls had good solid paint over them, and no electrolysis around them. My shaft zinc was only half used instead of completely gone. To the OP, it wouldn't hurt to add a shaft zinc as a precaution before you get to know the boat thoroughly.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
hutch1349
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth RI

Post by hutch1349 »

I owned my 2004 Albin 28 for four years before learning of the five engine zincs. The marina that installed new zincs each season never did the engine. Are these not considered zincs or known as something else?
Blue Sky
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

hutch1349 wrote:I owned my 2004 Albin 28 for four years before learning of the five engine zincs. The marina that installed new zincs each season never did the engine. Are these not considered zincs or known as something else?
Blue Sky
Yes, they're considered and referred to as "engine zincs".

Depending upon the yard and their expertise the engine zincs can and are often times missed if they are outboard engine focused and not inboard focused. The hull and running gear zincs are one focus and the engine zincs usually another. Engine zincs are generally part of engine maintenance. If your yard does your engine maintenance ie; annual oil change, LF, FF changes then shame on them. If they don't, whoever does the engine maintenance should be on the ball with zinc replacements. The brass plugs are reusable and only the zinc anode itself needs replacement. By just replacing the zinc anode and not the whole unit will save you some fair change.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:..The brass plugs are reusable and only the zinc anode itself needs replacement. By just replacing the zinc anode and not the whole unit will save you some fair change.
But do have some spare brass caps available because the threaded ends of the anode can break off and are a PITA to get out of the caps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

The link below will make it easy for the first time ordering. My 6LP uses one more additional E-1 in the fuel cooler. I also use the zincs for the bennet trim tabs from this site. Rudder and shaft are also available.

http://www.boatzincs.com/yan119773-92600.html
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Carl wrote:The link below will make it easy for the first time ordering. My 6LP uses one more additional E-1 in the fuel cooler. I also use the zincs for the bennet trim tabs from this site. Rudder and shaft are also available.

http://www.boatzincs.com/yan119773-92600.html

Bam! Yes it did...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

Forgot that they have the Vetus bow thruster zinc also. It comes with new screws and prop nut as well.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

I'm joining this a little late but the info may be beneficial to some.

For the last 2 years I've bought my anodes from Marine Anodes (http://marineanodes.com/index.php/line- ... tml?cat=69). I get the aluminum versions.

Also, while the 'engine' anodes are less expensive without the brass cap, at around $10 it isn't prohibitive to buy the whole 'pencil' zinc.

Not only are their prices great they will provide the anode with either a slotted or a hex head (I prefer hex head myself) bolt (you need to request the hex head).

I also have purchased their SALCA Line Cutters which I might add do the job. You get a collar anode with a line cutter for considerably less than just a line cutter.

Ask for Patrick, they are very accommodating (no I don't get a commission, just a very satisfied customer, will be ordering from them again in the spring).
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop

Return to “Albin Maintenance”