• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vibration at low RPM's

randyb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Vibration at low RPM's

Post by randyb »

Hello Fellow Albineers,
I have a '95 28TE with a Cummins 6BTA 250HP. The purpose of this post is to request some ideas to solve a low RMP jitter, vibration. The boat rattles pretty hard when placed in-gear and under 900 RPM. I "maxed" the idle up to 850 and the vibration is reduced yet not eliminated. Prop is clean and not especially dinged. The mechanics point me to my running gear and running gear guys tell me it's engine mounts. Any ideas on identifying, isolating the problem? Ideas and opinions welcome.

Make it a great day!
-randyb
-randyb
Vessel Sea Vee
1995 28' TE 5.9BTA Cummins
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Vibration at low RPM's

Post by Russell »

I had the same problem with my previous boat with the same engine. At idle speed everything in the pilot house would vibrate and you could hardly hear one another talk. Replacing the engine mounts made a tremendous difference in sound and vibration. Mine was a 97 model and I replaced the mounts in 2008.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Have a 28 TE 2001 w/Yanmar and have had same problem. About 5 years ago, one "expert" mechanic said it was engine mounts, but had enough sense to check further. Told local dealer of the problem and possible engine mount problem. Took boat in and within half an hour of the mechanic getting aboard he told me the engine mounts looked just like engine mounts of that age should look, nothing was wrong with them, vibration was an issue with the Yanmar having the same number of hours. He raised the idle and it was fine, until this year and I may raise the idle again.
Don
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Yearwood: Had same problem with Cummins 8.3 with one engine shaking at idle. We did same raise the idle speed to match other side and all is fine.
Have not yet determined how one engine slowed down a bit.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”