• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer for late model Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
swampfox
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Jackson, Mississippi

Trailer for late model Albin 25

Post by swampfox »

Would anyone know if a trailer set up for a Catalina 25 sailboat would generally fit the Albin 25? This trailer has 6 floating carpeted stands, welded to the galvanized frame--rather than full length bunks on each side. out.screw jack stands are adjustable up and down but not in and out.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Trailer for late model Albin 25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Would anyone know if a trailer set up for a Catalina 25 sailboat would generally fit the Albin 25? This trailer has 6 floating carpeted stands, welded to the galvanized frame--rather than full length bunks on each side. out.screw jack stands are adjustable up and down but not in and out.
Perhaps I can speak to that, having owned a Catalina 25 wing keel sailboat from 2008 to 2013 before switching to an Albin 25.

As you can see, my painted steel Trailrite trailer for the C25 had rollers instead of bunks and a base to support the wing keel. Yours might be different if it's a swing keel or a fin keel. You would want the Albin to ride lower on the trailer compared to the Catalina to the extent possible, and also be able to support the Albin's keel along as much of the the length as possible. The Catalina was a bit of a chore to launch, since we didn't have a tongue extension bar but instead "strap launched" it with a tow strap. Trailer sailors know what that's all about. By the way, the trailer for the Catalina looks so shiny and new in this picture because I had sandblasted every square inch down to bare metal and primed and repainted in myself, a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

The aluminum trailer that our Albin came with has full length bunks supporting the hull and rollers at each cross member supporting the keel. This I think would be the preferably arrangement, except in our case the bunks extend all the way to the transom, which would make it difficult if not impossible to have it launched and put back on the trailer using a Travel Lift.

You may end up finding it easier to look for another trailer better suited to the Albin and sell the Catalina trailer. There are a lot more Catalinas around than Albin 25's, and there's bound to be a market for your C25 trailer. That is unless you still own and want to keep the Catalina and use the same trailer for both boats.
IMG_5604.JPG
IMG_5512.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
swampfox
Swabby
Swabby

Post by swampfox »

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was hoping I would hear from you, after reading about your odyssey with the Albin. Actually, I have neither the boat or the trailer. I was looking at a late model A25 over the internet and was trying to figure out how to get it home. I saw the Catalina trailer (also online) and I could swing by and pick it up enroute to get the boat. I know this sounds crazy, but I've lost my senses like this many times before. I see what you mean about keeping the Albin low on the frame-- to keep that center of gravity as far down as possible.
swampfox
Swabby
Swabby

Post by swampfox »

I also meant to ask you if you thought my 2013 Ram 1500 2wd longbed with the 300hp 3.6 V6 could handle the A25? What I liked about the Catalina trailer was that it has an extendable tongue-- maybe 6-8 feet. Slippery ramps scare me, and that's why I'm concerned about the 2wd.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I also meant to ask you if you thought my 2013 Ram 1500 2wd longbed with the 300hp 3.6 V6 could handle the A25? What I liked about the Catalina trailer was that it has an extendable tongue-- maybe 6-8 feet. Slippery ramps scare me, and that's why I'm concerned about the 2wd.
As you can see in this photo, we tow with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram 2500 short bed 4X4 quad cab, in our case a 2006 diesel Laramie. I hear you about slippery ramps, especially if using a tongue extension, since there would be very little weight over the rear wheels. When pulling up a slippery ramp I just pop it into 4 Low (auto trans with electronic transfer case shift) and it walks right up the ramp without ever spinning wheels. The Ram truck with Cummins diesel is just an awesome vehicle. I get 17 to 18 MPG highway when not towing, and 11 to 12 when towing. I was lucky to find this one 4 1/2 years ago with just 78K miles on it at about 1/2 the price of a new one. I traded in my previous vehicle, a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 2WD, which at the time was marginal for towing my Catalina 25 which tipped the scale at 8,300 lbs with trailer. 78K is barely broken in for a diesel, and even now with all our travels only have 107K on it, and except for a few door dings and a scuffed up bed is still like new.

If this Albin you're looking at isn't too far from your home, perhaps you could hire a transporter to bring it home for you & you could look for a trailer at your leisure? Is it in the water right now?

It's not this one in Texas, is it?

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/5155291234.html

Or this one in Punta Gorda, FL?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1973- ... -102571144

Nice boat in that Boattrader ad, and really tricked out with new engine etc, but $35K? Wow, that seems like a bit much by $10K, especially with no trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
swampfox
Swabby
Swabby

Post by swampfox »

No, the one I'm looking at is around Portsmouth, Va. I used to tow my boats with my GMC Yukon 4wd and pulled up the ramp in 4 low with no problem. I'm just so worried about my new pickup with 2wd (not even with positraction) that I may just shy away from the Albin because of the shear weight involved. I have other boats, but the max weights with trailer don't exceed 3500 to 4000 pounds--not 7900 pounds as with the Albin. Guess I'll just continue with my restoration of the 1954 Chris Craft Fiesta express cruiser kitboat--I can stretch it a little, and it sorta looks like an Albin 25.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”