• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Simms

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Simms

Post by kjg1951 »

I went to change the oil in the Simms pump only to find out there was very little oil ... I refilled it to the screw hole and am hoping no damage was done ... What should I look for if there has been some damage to the pump ... Thanks
Kevin g
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Simms

Post by Tree »

Simms minimec? I seem to remember the oil is in the pump purely to dampen the pump on slow down, so it doesn't stall. Is it the ford engine it's on, 360 cubic inch (5.9litre)?

If so these engines were originally developed for New Holland combine harvesters. The engines were mounted at near 45° so you could fill the pump to capacity. The marine version is upright so you can only fill it so far. I seem to remember that the actual filler is redundant or near as in the marine engine. It's the 3/4" ( maybe 7/8") A/F fitting half way down the pump.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Generally the problem is fuel dilution. That is why the oil needs to changed so often. You must have a leak somewhere.
How long since you last changed oil ? ADC recommends 50 hour changes.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a 120hp ford lehman... I bought the boat back in july , I believe the fluids were changed in april... I will check for leaks now that I know it is filled to the prescribed level....I will check it often for now...
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

According to the manual the capacity is .90 pints (or filled to the overflow screw).
What I do is I have a plastic measuring cup that is marked at .90 pint. I drain the oil into that cup and if I have .90 pint I know I am not leaking or adding fuel to the oil. I also smell it to make sure it doesn't smell like diesel.
Then I dump that oil (into the fuel tank usually), clean the cup and put new oil to the proper level then pour it into the pump.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”