• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
locoengin
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

A 25

Post by locoengin »

I am looking at a A25 project boat , can anyone share their experience with a Volvo 3cyl 17C Diesel engine ? Thanks
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A 25

Post by NickScheuer »

We've owned our Allbin-25 for only three seasons, and this one hasn't even started on the water yet do to installation of a rebuilt transmission, so we haven't logged a lot of hours on our MD17C. When the boat came to us the engine wanted to overheat, and the previous owner thought the forward cyl was the culprit. However, an good mechanic suspected a faulty temp sending unit. That was fixed and the engine runs great. I believe I fired the transmission myself with too aggressive shifting in the locks on the Champlain Canal last summer. I had the single-lever shift/throttle control, however the transmission has taken longer.

I like the economy of our MD17C (about 1/2 gal/hr); it pushes the DuNORD at 8-knots cruise and 10 tops. The only problem with the Volvo-Penta is expense for parts.
don't understand whey these supposedly "overbuilt" Swedish engines don't run FOREVER. Some do, but lots of boats of all sorts have replacement engines.

Be advised, I am a lifelong sailor who just got into a power boat 3 years ago.
locoengin
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

Post by locoengin »

Thanks for sharing your experience with that engine
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

This is our third year with the 17C and once we got the fueling issue fixed in year one it has run perfectly ever since.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”