• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Buying a slip+lift. Get finger pier on Port or Stbd?

bpevans
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Buying a slip+lift. Get finger pier on Port or Stbd?

Post by bpevans »

Hi. Still shopping to become a Albin 28 TE owner but I'm solving the chicken vs egg problem now by buying a slip for it. It's new construction, and will have a 13k lb lift with it. There are two slips in each 28' berth so now is the question on whether I want my slip to have the finger-pier on the port or starboard side?

I assume given the prop walk, one or the other would be better/easier to get the boat into? And since I'm looking at a flush deck, the answer would likely be opposite for an engine box model that prop-walks the opposite way.

Thanks.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Buying a slip+lift. Get finger pier on Port or Stbd?

Post by RobS »

Engine Box or Flush Deck should all be LH props that will walk to starboard in reverse.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
bpevans
Mate
Mate

Post by bpevans »

Docking bow-in on a lift, With prop walk (to starboard) being more pronounced in reverse, I assume i'll want a starboard side finger pier so that when I back out, I get that extra clearance to starboard with the pilings and pier vs my neighbor & his outboard props being right there?

I was under the impression the engine box models spun opposite?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Rob is correct, both models back to starboard. Which side the finger pier is on is not so important but you will want the slip on your port side as you are coming in. Reverse will help you turn toward port as you are coming in and when you leave it will pull your stern toward shore and point the bow out. The transom door can be on port or starboard and you might consider that for where the finger pier is located.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Electric and water hook up are on the port side.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Russel's comment sounds like bow in docking. Some places don't allow that because anchors on bow sprits get in the way of people walking on the dock. Also, your shore power cable has to run all the way from stern to bow to hook up. If you have to dock stern in, I would ask for a slip on your starboard side as you enter the docking area.
bpevans
Mate
Mate

Post by bpevans »

It's going to be lift kept so bow in docking is correct. The slip will be to the port coming down the slipway which is good. Now it's just a matter of two lifts/boats between finger piers so I have to choose one that'll either be with the finger pier on my starboard or port side.

Leaning toward having the finger pier on my starboard so that backing out gives me slightly more room to prop walk to starboard. Solid thinking?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

bpevans wrote:....
Leaning toward having the finger pier on my starboard so that backing out gives me slightly more room to prop walk to starboard. Solid thinking?
If the finger pier was on the port side your stern would naturally come away from the pier when backing up.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”