• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ahoy, from Portland, OR 7.9 meter sloop help?

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Molika
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, OR

Ahoy, from Portland, OR 7.9 meter sloop help?

Post by Molika »

Howdy, I'm Gary Bruner, a Geezer sailor from Portland, Oregon, who just downsized from a Yankee 30 to an Albin 7.9 meter. Got it with a double axle trailer in a good deal, I think. Boat seems in fine shape, including a low hour Yanmar 1 GM diesel, but my sails are shot, except for the spinnaker. I'm finishing dead freaking last in my fleet of club racers, although it's true that every other boat rates significantly faster.

I'm been sailing for many years, and have done the Oregon Offshore (200 mile race up the Washington coast to Victoria, BC) several times in my Yankee 30 as well as several Swiftsure races (overnight races on the Strait of Juan de Fuca) and some 100 mile races down the Oregon Coast to Newport. I'm trying to embrace cruising once again and hope to see more of the San Juan and Gulf Islands of Canada.

Really looking for any fellow 7.9 meter racer types who might be able to share valid information about what helps this boat reach its speed potential. I'm ordering a new main and genoa, but unsure of size, right this second…..

I'm married, a retired theatre professor from Portland, and an avid sailor. I've been Sailor of the Year in Oregon several times, but I think that has more to do with volunteer efforts than sailing skill. Hope to hear from someone in Albin-land…..

Fair winds,

Gary

Return to “New Member Introductions”