• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Nissan LD79 starting issues

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tcft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montreal

Nissan LD79 starting issues

Post by tcft »

I have had starting issues intermittently for the past 4 years and have been unable to solve the problem. The engine is an LD79 Diesel in my Albin 27 FC.
After running for a period of time and then stopping (for a swim, or at a lock etc.) and I go to restart, I get nothing. There is power because the fuel pump starts but no action (not even a click) when I turn the ignition. So I have to open the engine compartment, remove the ignition wire to the solenoid and jump it from the terminal on the solenoid to the starter. And then if I turn it off and replace the ignition wire it seems to go again - until the next time, which could be a number of weeks. I replaced the starter / solenoid unit 2 years ago and it ran fine for a year. Now it seems to have come back.

Has anyone had similar experiences or have an idea of what the problem could be. Several mechanics have looked at it and they all seem to think it's a loose connection problem. I'm not so sure.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Nissan LD79 starting issues

Post by Panhdjoe »

If you do not have a volt meter its time to get one, they are easy to use. If there is insulation on the small wire connector that you refred to as the Ign. wire peel it back and hook up the red lead of the volt meter to the wire while it is connected and the black lead to engine ground (the starter bolt will do). While the problem occurs check to see if there is 12V DC at the wire with the start button held down. If so then the problem is the Starter, If not then there is a bad connection or a bad start switch.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
tcft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montreal

Post by tcft »

Thank you. I will try that next time it happens.

Tom T
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

My go to with starting problems was always the ground. Clean and tighten, then run a second ground cable, can never hurt and can often help, also not costly. Hope you find a fix, starting problems are a real pain in the rear. Thanks, Mark.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”