• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 Flush Deck Genset Location

jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

28 Flush Deck Genset Location

Post by jumpjet231 »

Does anyone on here have a flush deck with a genset? If so could you post a pic of the location. The boss has finally had enough of not being able to use anything when we are away from the dock and frying in the summer. I don't want to go the portable route either. I was thinking on a Nexgen 3.5. It is tiny and light at 170lbs.
Thanks,
Whit
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
Bill R
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Toronto

Re: 28 Flush Deck Genset Location

Post by Bill R »

Whit, this is what I posted to a similar question. PM if you have any questions. Bill

The previous owner of our 2005 TE FD installed an after market genset in the port side cockpit locker. It is a Nextgen UCM1-3.5 (3.5 kwh) single cylinder diesel with a dry weight of 160 lbs. Doesn't appear to cause a list to port. It is a snug fit but I have been able to do all the routine maintenance without much difficulty. The surveyor even commented it was a "neat" installation.

The genset has its own water inlet, sea strainer and Racor. The bottom of the bin was removed leaving the top frame for drainage and to enable the latch to secure the hatch.

Attachments

IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG (41.69 KiB) Viewed 176 times

DSCN2840.JPG
DSCN2840.JPG (31.86 KiB) Viewed 176 times

DSCN2835.JPG
DSCN2835.JPG (25.77 KiB) Viewed 176 times

DSCN2838.JPG
DSCN2838.JPG (29.29 KiB) Viewed 176 times
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

I installed an Entec 4.2 in my 07 model last year. My admiral is very happy to have AC underway and at anchor. The boat yard located it forward of the battery on the centerline. My boat has the newer L seating configuration so the deck storage boxes are different. (My boat does not have the large rectangular center storage box it only has a half size version located aft ) The advantage to me was that I didn't sacrifice any existing storage boxes. I went with the Entec primarily because that was what Albin had be using as the factory option and I found low hour units on the used market. Using Vetus exhaust components and a copy of the Entec sound enclosure the measured sound level in the cockpit is 63 db. During my research I saw pictures of installs on other FDs if I can find them in my archive I will post but I don't think posts of my install will be applicable to your boat. FWIW I acquired a second unit with an indicated 449 hours, it has a bad fuel shut off relay that requires replacement but I have serviced it and run it under 30 amp load with no problems and good power quality. It is complete with controls and the factory sound enclosure if you are interested in looking at used option. It's located in Chesapeake Va.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Post by tshug »

I have an Entec 4.2 on my 2004 FD TE. I'll take some pictures of it this weekend and post them.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

First, may I preface this post with the following: this is for the purpose of sharing ideas and experiences... not to brag or disparage else's choice of equipment or their preferences. Every owner has different needs, finances, boats, and choices.

A few months ago I installed a DC generator / water maker in our 2004 FD. It is installed where the port locker was. It is powered by a single cylinder Kubota diesel. The reverse osmosis water maker is driven by the Kubota as well and makes 24 gallons per hour of 99.7% pure H2O.

A few pictures:
Down.jpg
Top Side Looking Port.jpg
Bilge Looking Port.jpg
Control Panel.jpg
After tons of research, discussions with various vendors, visits to boat shows, etc, we went with the DC generator. Mainly because of its efficiency, which I will explain below. And also because we have a 2500w inverter with no big AC loads like air conditioning. It is not practical, and nearly impossible, to go with a DC generator with larger AC loads.

The entire system weighs about 230lbs including the water maker. One of the things we really liked about the AquaGen system is that it is modular. You can add a dive compressor, pressure washer, additional water making capacity, etc, without much problem. I am not sure if we will ever need any of this, other than the dive compressor, but it is nice to have the ability.

Generally speaking, the DC generator 100% efficient at charging the batteries. There are some losses from cable resistance and heat, among other factors, but nothing significant. AC generators are ~80% efficient at best because of imperfect AC sine wave production and the usual losses from heat and resistance. They then drive an AC to DC 30A battery charger which was designed for the more perfect shore power with regard to sine wave. The AC battery charger is only about 85% efficient - at best, when connected to a marine AC generator. The combined overall efficiency, in terms of charging batteries can be as low as 30%, though is usually higher. These numbers are general and will differ with various manufacturers and combinations.

Because of the low output of the 30A AC battery charger, the system needs to be run for a few hours to achieve a full charge on the batteries, assuming you have a digital smart charger. By contrast, the DC generator is putting out a full 160A directly into the batteries with virtually no loss of efficiency. This allows the system to run for a much shorter period of time to achieve a full charge- again assuming a digital charge regulator.

Personal experience: We can stay on the hook for two days or more without rationing power or water. We run the generator for one hour every two days or so. By the end of the hour, our 2 4D batteries are full, and we have a full tank of water.

Of course, the holding tank is still my limitation, but I am working on a solution for that as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

One other thing I might add: the starboard locker wouldn't work for me because the main seacock and raw water hose are located there and take up too much room to fit anything of substance. On a flush deck I don't think you really have any other choice. I'd be curious if someone has fit a generator any where else on a flush deck?
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

Entec 4.2 installed in 07 Flush Deck Newport
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”