• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My first Albin! I have questions!

Kevink1531
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rock hall, md

My first Albin! I have questions!

Post by Kevink1531 »

I have been drawn to the Albin since day 1 of boat ownership. I could never quite afford the dream, but I think I am finally there. I am looking at a few very nice 28te boats in the late 90's. I love to fish, but need a little more living quarters for my new family. I recently had a little boy, and I think this is a perfect boat for us. I will be in Rock Hall Md. I have been diligently reading all I can about these boats, trying to make sure I make the right decision.
1- Is there any issues that are common problems with the model and years I am looking at?
2- I have read a lot about the peninsular engine, should I be weary?
3- I troll for stripers, so any idea how trolling valves work on these boats, or do they go slow enough? (2-3kn).

Any extra guidance will be greatly appreciated! I have owned boats for 12 years now, so I am not a new boat owner bay any stretch. I am just trying to make sure I am able to get, and keep one of these beauties like I should. I don't make a ton of money, but what I do make I budget for my hobby! I am just a little nervous about the maitenance on the older boat. I am in an 05 aquasport explorer 250, and not a whole lot to it but keeping things in order, and clean.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me out!
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Re: My first Albin! I have questions!

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

I purchased my 1998 Albin 28 new. Loved it then and I still do. It's a good solid fishing vessel. I have a 330 hp Cummins with a trolling valve. It works very well when trolling for strippers. Good luck in your search.
cowboy321
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Naptown

Post by cowboy321 »

Nice boats but get a good survey. Look for problems with stuffing box and blisters.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to AOG. I'm moving this post to the TE forum.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

2- I have read a lot about the peninsular engine, should I be weary?
You should only be weary of the well intentioned giving you advice about a brand they have only heard about but never owned.
You SHOULD search through these forums for information from real owners with real life experience. I have been hanging around here since 2006 and have only seen a few legitimate complaints about the Peninsular. The very serious defect that some of the early models had can be checked with a call to Matt at Peninsular with the serial number. Other than that my most memorable issue is the "hot starting problem" that will leave you stranded if you have not installed the clum relay timing kit. I would think that after all these years anything your looking at now will have the kit installed.
Complaint #2 is the noise. It is louder than the Cummins or Yanmar.

Any engine that is not maintained will cause problems.

As Ray mentioned, you will need a trolling valve or parachute for 2-3 knots. Mine idles at 4 knots.

Congratulations on the birth of your son. Rock Hall? We are in the same neighborhood but I'm on the western shore.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”