• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE bait live well.. sort of

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

28 TE bait live well.. sort of

Post by catalina_mike »

Ok guys I need some help here. My 28 TE has a 3/4" thru hull to the new bait pump I installed. After 5 kts the pump is unable to keep the water flowing. All but one of my baits died on my first fishing trip out. :evil: There is no scoop on the two thru hulls, one bait pump one washdown. Do you guys have scoops? Or better bait pumps?

http://photo.pacificwestcontrols.com/~M ... 1436822477
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: 28 TE bait live well.. sort of

Post by Tree »

We've got scoops on FP2 and only last week I replaced the original pump with what I could get my hands on. That was only 500 GPH and works great at all speeds.

I can't help but notice, you don't seem to have any anode cables on the inlet - if that's what I'm seeing you might want to get that sorted.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Thanks for the reply. It is all properly bonded now and was one of many repairs. My buddy also said the pump might be rising in comparison to the water level while on plane. It was close when I installed and didn't think about while on plane. I will re do the pump install this am and test next week.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Two scoops for me!

I haven't had any flow problems at rest or on plane with the bait well. I have a very old pump (2006) that is hanging in there.

Is it possible you are sucking air? This would definitely reduce the pump's efficiency. When I installed my AquaGen I had a maddening problem for weeks with air in the raw water system that I couldn't resolve. I replaced every piece of hose and resealed every connection. The problem ended up being the seacock. It was sucking enough air, whether open or closed, to kill the pump prime. This kept the water maker from working also. I discovered the air leak by pressure testing the system like you would a radiator in a car - a leak down test. I switched over to another seacock and the problem went away. Just a thought.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Have replaced my pump with the one you are showing and have been disappointed with it ever since. Many times it wont pick up a prime when it is turned on. Have to go dump a bucket of water in the bait well to back flow the line or twist the motor off and let water run through before it will start pumping. They say self priming but seems to have trouble doing that. It does seem to stay pumping once it starts and for the most part OK under way. Not running a scoop on mine. But I am ready to switch brand of pump. It just does not seem to work like my old one.

My old one had a place for an air tube to attach and I could regulate the amount of air that would be sucked in at the pump. This provided very fine bubbles jeted into the bait well and would keep fish alive longer. I did not find that pump when I went to replaced so went with the rule. I think I am going searching again and see if I can come up with my old pump.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Getting a plastic scoop for now. 5200 and short screws while diving will work fine until she gets hauled again then she will get a real scoop.

Thanks guys and gals getting things done.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Mike,
I had the same problem, and yes, a scoop will fix it! Without the scoop once you get to a certain speed it creates a venture which will draw the water out of the pump enough that you loose prime. Have the scoop intake facing forward and you will not loose prime at any speed. Enclosed is a picture of my fix.
Baitwell Scoop.JPG
Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Replaced the type you have with similar and that was ineffective as well. These are very inexpensive centrifugal pumps that probably require a net positive suction head. Bit the bullet and put in a more expensive bellows pump and have had no problem for the past five years. I would also think a scoop would work with the centrifugal pump, perhaps through full speed depending on the design.
Don
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My present Albin came with a Johnson 500 GPH bait well cartridge pump. It went out last spring and it was easy to replace the cartridge. It works fine but I am not certain if there is a scoop on the intake. Oddly my previous Albin had a scoop intake on the air conditioner intake but not on the bait well pump. In addition the bait well pump was a much more expensive Jabsco that was mounted upside down and rusted out the motor from the leaking saltwater. The Jabsco also functioned as the wash down pump whereas my present 2005 model has separate pumps, a nice improvement.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Russ, FP2 also has separate live well and wash down pumps. I'd have thought that was standard?

Again it'll be the scoop like everyone has mentioned that's required here. We've just come back 28 miles in pretty sloppy conditions with the live well running. Live bait was still alive when we got back to port.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I had the same issue with my 28TE. Livewell intake came through with a round strainer from Albin and that meant dead baits when underway for a bit. What a disappointment that was! Switched it out to a scoop and no more bellies up!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

When you guys removed the round strainer, was there any issue with the sealant or fiberglass? I lose prime every time I shut the pump down after a day of fishing. I usually back off the top of the pump and I am good to go.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”