• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Trailer

Albin's "power cruisers"
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

A25 Trailer

Post by johnvb1014 »

Am in the market for an A25. Recently looked at one that did not have a trailer. What conventional (not custom build) trailers are suitable for an A25?

Thanks

JVB
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A25 Trailer

Post by NickScheuer »

I'm pretty sure a lot of trailers will work, however, they need to be set up by someone who knows their onions. Our A-25's trailer is nothing special, but it's fairly massive, having four 16" wheels and plenty of bunks for supporting the hull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Here's another photo from when we had the deck and cabin top repainted in a shop. The trailer came with the boat, which had been transported from NYC to Wisconsin by the prior owner. The trailer is WAY better than an earlier boat I had looked at which would have come with a pile of junk for a trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Getting our deck and cabin top repainted is on next year's project list. It needs it, but will have to wait until next year. Nick, yours sure looks great.

Our boat came with a 1999 tandem axle aluminum trailer with torsion bar suspension and disk surge brakes on both axles. We had to have some cracked cross member welds repaired ($800) and buy a set of new tires and get the wheel bearings serviced. Otherwise it's a great trailer for salt water launching, and ready for a 6,000 mile road trip this summer. Of course in hindsight we were somewhat blinded by enthusiasm and paid way too much for the boat and trailer. But whatever, we like it. It does have a sweet running Yanmar 3GM30F engine and a full mast and sail rig, not to mention a very cool lapstrake hard shell sailing dinghy on snap davits.

This photo is from the DPO's 2014 Craigslist ad & shows what the trailer is like. It was built by Performance Trailers in Florida. The company has since gone out of business. All up boat & trailer combined weight as measured on a truck scale and unhitched from the truck is 6,850 lbs.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Post by glk34 »

A good trailer for a trailerable boat is a must. Nothing ruins a trip like problems when towing. The A25 is not that heavy but you know it is behind you and at 8'6" beam, you need to pay attention when on the road.

Iron Jack
lwight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

Post by lwight »

NickScheuer wrote:I'm pretty sure a lot of trailers will work, however, they need to be set up by someone who knows their onions. Our A-25's trailer is nothing special, but it's fairly massive, having four 16" wheels and plenty of bunks for supporting the hull.
Nick, I'm very interested in those bunks. Do I see an assembly that supports the keel? Would it be possible to send or post a close-up picture of that assembly?
lwightATrockisland.com
Larry Wight
Friday Harbor, WA
NICO
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

I will try to get a photo tomorrow, Iwight. Haven't checked this thread in awhile.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here's a photo of our A25 trailer without the boat on it. As you can see, aluminum I beam frame, full length bunks, roller keel supports at each cross member. About 30+ feet length overall including the trailer tongue. We've towed this 10,000 miles in the past year and a half, including 850 miles bringing the boat down to Phoenix from previous owner's home in Idaho when we bought the boat in March, 2014, plus 3,400 miles round trip last year to from Phoenix to Bellingham, WA, and finally 5,760 miles from Phoenix to Seneca Lake, NY, to Westerly, RI, to Barnegat, NJ, and Seaford, DE before returning to Phoenix. Of course first thing we did on buying it was install a new set of tires. And, while the trailer was parked in Rhode Island as seen in this photo, replaced disk brake calipers and pads.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”