• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

cutlass bearing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

cutlass bearing

Post by special k »

it's been quite a season and now i am facing what i suspect to be cutlass bearing replacement. been developing vibration during power-up and loud rattling noise at planing speed. 3200-3400rpm. last week i had to limp in at 2400rpm 10knots. any more produced noise and vibration. engine fine while in neutral at all rpm's.

looked at other posts regarding the cutlass bearing and shaft removal. my question is can i remove the cutlass housing without removing the shaft?

trying to make this repair myself and want to keep it as simple and timely as possible.

2002 28 te yanmar 6lp

thanks!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: cutlass bearing

Post by Tree »

Rob is your man for answers on this one but I am pretty sure it can be done. You may need to undo the rudder at the bottom so you can move it to one side slightly in order to get the clearance.

There are a number of recent topics on the boards where Rob has put some photos with descriptions.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Have you had a visual on the engine when she's making this "noise" Could be worn, broken or loose engine mount(s) and an alignment issue. Yes, shaft can stay in place when pulling the bearing housing..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

thanks for sharing your experience. a very valuable resource. motor mounts seem o.k. is there a layman's process to ensure proper alignment?

something i should do during re-assembly? this is a first for me.

boat comes out of the water tomorrow afternoon i'll start disassembly thursday my first concern is how the housing bolts are anchored in the skeg and if it will return to proper position just by rebolting.

cheers!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Does this help?
Capture 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

ok, hauled my boat yesterday afternoon. length of rope wound tight between prop and housing. removed rope, shaft tight with no play. appears to be a portion of seal come out of housing. does cutlass have a seal? will examine in depth today. hopefully no need to disassemble at this time.

just wonder about what appears to be a seal.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

What could have happened is rope around prop prohibited the needed water flow through the cutlass bearing, thus the rubber overheats and begins to melt and adheres to the shaft and gets spun / pulled out of the housing.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

RobS wrote:What could have happened is rope around prop prohibited the needed water flow through the cutlass bearing, thus the rubber overheats and begins to melt and adheres to the shaft and gets spun / pulled out of the housing.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It takes only a few seconds to melt the rubber or especially poly rope.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Melted Rope?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

well the material that looked to be a seal was indeed just melted rubber from cutlass spun into a disc. cutlass in my housing was a curious 3 inches long. replaced with 5 inches of cutlass, cut down one inch from six to accommodate water ports. while replacing the housing i did caulk it in as in robs photos and mine was originally caulked. don't know why since it is supposed to be wet on all sides inside and out. perhaps just for more secure attachment.

having the prop tuned and reconditioned although it was in good condition. also while on the hard i am having the engine lifted so that the main seals that were leaking oil can be replaced, an item they couldn't get to when replacing timing belt. using my local yanmar guys since this is out of my comfort zone.

been a tough season, disabled three times.....remind me again why we love boating :roll:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

When the boat goes back in the water and everything is running sweet, you'll remember why we go boating.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”