• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Attention Mystic, Ct boaters

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Attention Mystic, Ct boaters

Post by jleonard »

I know some of you cut thru the mooring field in Noank via the recently marked local channel.
One of the boats in our marina hit something this morning in that channel and bent up props on his I/O.
Our marina mechanics say this is a fairly common occurance as the channel is not really clear. I know I have idled thru a couple of times this season and have been in zero water at just below mid tide.
For me I'd rather spend a few more minutes and go the standard channel.
Just sayin'.
Happy cruising
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Attention Mystic, Ct boaters

Post by special k »

that "marked" channel has claimed a couple props from boats on my dock as well last season. i do cut through but with much wider berth, trusting my previous tracks more than the channel markers....fwiw
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I've never been one to cut corners when it comes to following the channel and I also try to follow the "flow" or "contour" of the channels as best possible as opposed to cutting corners and connecting the dots with the buoys, the Thames Rvr up to the MAAW is a good example of not connecting the dots. But this is different as it seems to be a problem inside a marked channel. Is the area on this chart? Can I get some further specifics? We'll likely be up that way at some point soon..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Rob, Basically the channel is approx. where I drew the red line and it cuts several minutes if travelling to/from the East side of Noank/Mystic.
It is marked with red and green buoys thru the mooring field. There is actually one mooring smack in the middle of the channel.
Considering normal GPS variation I would say it is only luck if you don't hit something as the channel is fairly narrow.
I am also diligent about following a marked channel and like I said I have used this locally marked one a few times, but no more. I've seen and heard of too many damaged boats. This is the second time I know about this year alone from our marina and both were shallow draft I/Os.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks Jay. I recall that cut. We were coming back down from the Mystic Seaport a few seasons back and a couple boats cut to port after passing nun 22. We were actually going east to RI, not back to LI, so it was tempting but I just continued down the main channel.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I definitely would not chance it there or at Watch Hill. Both are twisting channels and shallow just outside. I took the shortcut north of Ram Island coming from Stonington Harbor but would not do it again. Too many rocks and so many markers to read. :shock:
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

the larger sailboats in the mooring field have keels easily 4 feet deep, those are my markers, the "marked" channel through the eastern side of the mooring field is not to be trusted, don't know who plotted this pass through although i am sure the intent was to ease the inconvenience to those on the moorings.

Return to “General Discussion”