• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Radar Mount - With a Surprise!

djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

New Radar Mount - With a Surprise!

Post by djpeewee »

After nearly ripping the radome off the boat earlier this summer, we decided find something lower profile since our Albin is trailered often. There's not much commercially available that is low profile, so we had a couple of welders fabricate something from a sketch we drew. We have 3 or so aluminum boat building companies in town, so finding a competent aluminum welder wasn't too difficult. After powder coating the mount and drilling and epoxying some holes in the hard top, here is the result:
Up.jpg
Up2.jpg
Up4.jpg

The coolest part though, is that it folds down, making it more than a foot lower than the factory radar arch. The whole mount is only 5 inches taller than the roof when in "tow" mode. Now, if the radome gets ripped off the boat while towing, we have a much bigger problem to deal with.
Down.jpg
Down2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: New Radar Mount - With a Surprise!

Post by RobS »

Fancy & nicely done. What Garmin display do you have ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

We recently installed a 7612xsv with a pair of GT51M transducers.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

djpeewee wrote:We recently installed a 7612xsv with a pair of GT51M transducers.
Very cool, I installed the 7612xsv with the ducer pair as well. How do you like it? I'm lovin' it. Except my non-touchscreen unit next to it has a lot of fingerprints on the screen now!

Here's some recent screenshots cruising over some wrecks and a shot of AIS targets at a dock full of megayachts. AIS is via an Icom M506 vhf over the N2K network. I also have her interfaced with the Simrad AP24 over N2K and they communicate perfectly. N2K is such a great improvement over being restricted by proprietary networks and working with NMEA183 connections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

Rob, so far we love the Garmin. We've had a few problems with the auto pilot, but mostly just calibration issues. We haven't really done anything serious with the Sonar, but are very happy so far. I can't wait to take it fishing! It's going to get a good workout.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

DJ: That a fine looking piece of art. Well, done in every way. Thanks for sharing.
whwells "Howard"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Well done. I like it.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Post by Jforesta »

DJ
Looks great, How did you cover the area after you removed the radar arch?
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

To cover the mounting and cable access holes from the factory arch, I made some blanking plates out of 3/8" white starboard. The plates are essentially the same foot print as the mounting plates on the old arch. I then Sikaflexed the plates and put 3 screws in each one. You don't even notice them now, and they are completely water proof.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Post by Jforesta »

Great job DJ. Thanks for the info. I am also thinking about removing the arch and rocket launcher to clean things up.
Yours look great.
I have been looking at some tapered radar masts eg scanstrut. Can use off the shelf if I can find one with low profile, less than 26". If you have seen any in your quest, please post. Thanks, joe
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

I looked quite a bit, but was mainly looking for something folding since our Albin is trailered most of the time. Scanstrut has a folding bracket, but it only accommodates their smaller masts I believe. Plus, it didn't look like it folded a complete 180 degrees. When ours is folded down, it is about 12 - 18" lower than the factory arch, and only 5" above the roof. When it is upright it is about 34" from the roof deck to the top of the mast light.

I may have gone with something tapered, as they are not as "chunky" as the one we ended up with, but we had to stick with something the local guys fabricate. I'm sure they wouldn't mind building another!
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ipswich, MA

Post by zeke46 »

Very nice radar tower.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”