• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 Purchase advice

Mainelycruisin
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Surry, ME

Albin 28 Purchase advice

Post by Mainelycruisin »

Greetings from a brand new member to the forum.

I am looking for advice on what pitfalls to look for in my search for an Albin28. Most folks I have spoken with think it's a great boat, but one guy (an American Tug broker) had one for a summer and absolutely hated it, though I couldn't find out why.

Are there any particular things I should have a surveyor look for during inspection?
Thanks in advance. I look forward to your replies and hope to become a valued member able to pass on advice in the future.

Best,
Dick Robbins
Downeast Maine
Mainelycrusin
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Albin 28 Purchase advice

Post by Tree »

Dick. I'll give you my view on how good they are for the size of boat....

I took a ride in one once. Only one ride but that was enough. I then sent over $50,000 plus shipping plus taxes and had one delivered to me here in the UK.

That's how good they are.
Mainelycruisin
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Mainelycruisin »

That's great to hear. Thanks for your response!
Safe boating!
Dick
Mainelycrusin
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I have owned 4 Albins. Built like tanks, good on fuel, the lay outs and access to most areas are excellent and the ride is the best I have ever had. Each boat has certain quirks, but they can be handled with out to much effort. Good luck in your search.
Mainelycruisin
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Mainelycruisin »

Thanks very much for your insight!

Dick
Mainelycrusin
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

love our 28te! great fishability and plenty of creature comfort for weekending or longer. for my wife and i we find this to be a perfect boat for us as a couple.

we have had more than a few boats from h-s walk arounds to sea ray bridge cruisers, the albin is a "real" boat foregoing glitz and glamor for true seaworthy architecture.

just my personal opinion formed over 30 years on the salt.

cheers!
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

You won't find a better boat than the Albin for price and dependability. At the moment I am an X Albin owner but will return to sometime in the future.
whwells "Howard"
X 35Te Flybridge 2006 Nibbles
2006 Sabre Flybridge 42
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Post by JIMBO44 »

Best advice I could provide is to get a really good boat, engine, and tranny survey.

:) jimbo44
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I know this has been said before, but I think that by far the most important consideration in a boat purchase is to figure out as exactly as possible how you will use the boat, and then determine which boats best fit those planned uses. Most people I know who been disappointed with their boat purchase was not so much the boat itself, but it didn't fit they way they used it.
In my case, I was a sailor and then decided (for mainly physical reasons) I wanted to switch to power, something not to big, and affordable. I purchased an Albin 27 Express because I had heard good things about Albins and I liked it but soon realized I needed more sleeping space and more power with a higher speed when needed. That led me to review a number of boats at boat shows just at the time the Albin 30FC came on the market. I purchased Hull #15 soon after and now, ten years later, have not regretted it for a minute. It is not perfect, but it is very good and continues to suite my requirements.
Of course you need a good survey to make sure you are not buying someone else's problems, but if an Albin 28 fits your needs and you can find a good one that surveys well, you will not be disappointed.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

I've had boats all my aged life and the Albin is well built, reliable and fine as a cruiser and fishing boat on the Chesapeake. I have the Yanmar 300 HP (which I understand is the best manufacturer) with about 2000 hours on it and no complaints in spite of spending a few hours this morning replacing a failed raw water hose. Friday the boat survived a slide from a failed lift without problems.
Don

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”