• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabin door lock

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Cabin door lock

Post by TomA »

The bi-fold cabin entrance door on my 32 +2 has a barrel bolt mounted vertically at the bottom of the door for locking when you're in the cabin. Under way vibration caused the bolt to drop and we were locked out of the cabin. Do any of you guys have a better locking system when you are in the cabin for the night?
TomA
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Cabin door lock

Post by Mark Deeser »

Ya know I something like that on the movie Captain Ron, but it was mop handle an a shower door. How about a piece of flat steel with a receiver on each side of cabin door? Mount one a third down from the top and a second a third up from the bottom, would actually make a door hard for someone too get thru without a bit of noise and commotion. Just spit balling. Thanks, Mark.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Is it possible to turn the bolt around so its below the door?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
doughat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Guatemala

Post by doughat »

Check out "spring loaded barrel bolts"... I think that might solve your problem with the least about of work.. You can get them in stainless as well.
Doug
Sonrisa
1993 28TE
Rio Dulce, Guatemala
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

If you are a cheap skate like me, unscrew the knob and the bolt will slide out. Find a small ball bearing and a short spring that is slightly narrower than the ball. In the back of the bolt holder, drill a shallow hole wide enough for the ball bearing but only deep enough for the spring under compression and the ball. File a shallow flat on the side of the bolt and fit every thing back together. Job done.....or as said go and buy a spring loaded bolt.
TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Post by TomA »

Thanks all, I am having a marine carpenter router out a section of the door to install a barrel bolt horizontally, plus will look at the spring loaded version for the existing vertically mounted. TA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”