• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Honda generator

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Honda generator

Post by Mark Deeser »

I am planing on buying a new Honda 2000 portable genator for my Albin 27 FC. They come without oil in motor. I would like to put Mobile 1, full synthetic in it. My question is would this type of oil be bad for new engine break in. Do not know if it would allow rings to seat correctly. I bought a new Tohatsu 6 hp outboard an Manuel said not to use synthetic oil as motor might run to cool, do not think this would be an issue for an air cooled engine in central Florida. Looking for any thoughts or ideas. Am trying to get boat set up to do Great Loop, getting close, thanks for your help. Mark
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Honda generator

Post by Nancy »

Does Honda have a recommendation? I'd go with whatever they say.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Fascinating to me that you would ask the Albin Owners forum about a technical question concerning your new $1k Honda generator. ????

A single Google search indicates numerous threads in a variety of places about your topic. Plus this:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/support ... -questions

Good luck
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thank you for the link, I am sorry if my question was inappropriate. Mark.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Just bought one and the oil from the Honda part number is 10-30wt. I didn't read the manual yet so I just asked the sales guy to look up the oil...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Costco carries a Smarter Tools 2000 watt portable generator with a Yamaha engine that looks very good for $599. I am considering it once I return to Florida in the fall and check the BTU rating on the AC unit in my 28TE. Reading posts on this topic there seems to be some disagreement whether a 2000 watt generator is capable of starting them if they are over 7000 BTU. Never though I would be interested in one but the Bahamas being only 50 miles away are beckoning.

Here is a description of the unit which may be available from other suppliers:
The Yamaha® powered Smarter Tools® AP-2000iQ is whisper quiet, lightweight, and easy to use. Capable of powering sensitive electronics and loaded with features such as a fuel gauge, USB charging outlet, easy access oil fill door, LED indicator lights, self venting gas cap, and smart throttle, the AP-2000iQ is the ideal outdoor power source. Additional features include USFS approved spark arrestor; fuel petcock, 12V charging outlet, and parallel capability which allows two units to be connected together for greater power output. It weighs a mere 47 compact pounds, making it easy to transport and easy to store. The AP-2000iQ’s Yamaha® MZ80 Engine has the longest emission engine life ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

for a portable, get the honda. i know of many boats using them
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I would not be afraid of a Yamaha.. however the Honda is very quiet and has a great track record. That is what made the decision for me.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Russ, I looked at the Honda and the Costco unit and couldn't tell the difference by the specs. The Yamaha is just as quiet and looked very well made when I looked at it at the store. I bought it and have been very pleased with the unit so far. I haven't got my A/C unit installed yet on my boat but I used the genny several times for odd jobs and once to power the large house freezer during a power outage - no problems. I'll be installing the A/C unit (5000 btu) next week and I'm sure it'll handle the A/C. The Yamaha unit has a fuel shutoff valve that allows you to run it dry for storage periods. Ben
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

I'm not a member of Costco so I can't compare those 2.

I've looked at and bought 2 Honda's (1 was a replacement for the 1st) to only return it as the warranty started at purchase and it was going to sit in my basement for the winter.

$900+ is the best price for the Honda that I've found. Besides being hi priced, the watt rating is also low, 2000 but only 1800 constant.

Harbor Freight (with fairly hi owner reviews) sells 1 for $499. It is rated 2500/2200.

There is a 30 return policy as well.

I'm picking 1 up to test this weekend. We have a 30A boat with 2 separate receptacles (1 for house and 1 for AC). If during testing the unit runs the AC I will buy an additional one (could also act as a backup). I also think Home Depot or Lowes sells a combiner that could be used.

The watt rating is the import aspect as all the smaller units I've seen seem to have an inverter built in to run power.

I'll report my findings after the weekend.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Home Depot also sells the Smarter Tools generator but at $649. Here is a link if you want to look at it:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smarter-Tool ... /205627293

It is 1600 sustained watts and 2000 surge same as the Honda. I am not sure if this is adequate to start the AC on my Albin 28. Charles, let us have some feedback on the Harbor Freight generator. I think you are looking at the Predator and the 2500 watts peak may make the difference. I am usually a little leery of Harbor Freight but some of their equipment is a bargain.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Thanks, I had seen that one.
I think if the Harbor Freight doesn't carry the load I'll be looking to go larger, something around 3000W. Not sure which brand at this point.
I'll be back with some feed-back.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Just a little note of caution. I have 2 of the Honda 2000 generators I used on my 28 foot Albin. If you use anything but straight gas,( no corn gas) you will have some serious problems.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Several guys in my marina have those Hondas and they all run ethanol laced gas without any issues. That's the only option here.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

If the ethanol sits in the carburetor for a long period of time it gunks up the carb and you have to purchase a new one because they don't rebuild the carbs. It only took 2 months for mine to be destroyed. It was only only about $190.00 per generator. Just a warning.

Return to “General Discussion”