• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Propane

Post by kjg1951 »

What are the thoughts on a propane/electric propane refrigerator on a 36 ft albin ???? Thanks for your comments
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Re: Propane

Post by djpeewee »

Propane doesn't belong on boats - especially diesel powered boats. There is no requirement that anything intended to go in a diesel boat's bilge be ignition protected. While diesel fuel can vaporize and form an ignitable vapor mixture, its pretty hard to do. Not true for propane - it will evaporate sufficient vapor to form an ignitable mixture at -150F and above. Since it is heavier than air at these temperatures, it will sink into the bilge and stay there until something sets it off or it gets vented. Gasoline is similar with a flashpoint of -50F. So not real good to have on a diesel powered boat as well.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

What about a stove and oven that most trawlers have .....
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

Not sure, but they must be fully ignition protected if this is the case. I do know of other boats that have propane as well. All aftermarket add ons - most likely from the RV industry. I don't think I've ever seen propane marine appliances. I haven't looked for them so I could be wrong. I'm curious now.

I would't put propane on my boat:

1) have no idea if the fuses, circuit breakers, switches, etc from the manufacturer are IP. They aren't required to be.
2) have no bilge blower.
3) have a diesel stove and heater.

When I bring gasoline along for the dinghy motor I tie it on the swim step or leave it in the dinghy. Just my preference.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Propane has been installed as original equipment by the manufacturers for at least 45 years. The vessels all have propane "sniffers/detectors" installed, most in multiple locations. I've used them on all my boats over the last 35 years, including 15 years of living aboard. Problems with propane have been few, and usually because of ignorant owners. Just like everything else on a boat, you have to check and maintain the system. Ben
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I also have a propane stove/oven on my 40 and I would NOT hesitate to go propane for a fridge.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Thank you for all the comments ... I intend to put propane sniffers/detectors in the bilge and in the cabin .... The fellow who I am buying the boat from is very precise in all that he has done to the boat and I am very sure if he did not feel it was a safe device I am VERY sure it would have been gone long ago
More comments are most welcomed
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Make sure that the installation is done strictly to ABYC specs. Propane bottles stored in a locker that vents overboard in the event of a leak. Shutoff solenoid in the galley. And I believe there are important specs as to how the propane lines are run.

I had a propane capable refrigerator on our prior boat. Insurance companies did not like that. Although I did fine one that didn't care. I think it was something about the propane line having a tee in it feeding both the refrigerator and the stove/oven. I never did use the propane function of the fridge.

These days I am a fan of 12v only fridges, unless you need a generator for other purposes. There are some really efficient ones out there with the Danfoss compressors.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

Good discussion. Seems to be a polarizing issue. Didn't realize propane fridges were that prevalent. Are manufacturers currently installing propane fridges in new boats?

FWIW - a friend of mine works at a custom boat builder. She has been there nearly 8 years (nearly 300 boats produced in that time) and have never put propane in a boat. Never been asked to though. There are some Ocean Sports around here that have propane cook tops, but not fridges. I know with our RV, we couldn't tow it with the fridge on propane. I always thought it was because the wind would blow out the flame/pilot light, but it was because the ammonia cooling system needed to be level to work properly. I wonder if this is a problem on a boat?

A few years ago we had a 38 footer explode in the middle of the marina. Turns out the guy was installing a propane tank.

The result:
JWayne.jpg
The explosion took out a couple of boats next to his and knocked out the windows of several more. The owner died. Very sad.

As joreyn mentioned, make sure you adhere to the ABYC standards and that everything on the boat is ignition protected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I don't think they are prevalent. I checked the Fisheries Supply web site, and they only offer one model, vs. something like 50 ac/dc or pure DC. Propane stoves on the other hand, are quite prevalent.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

How do you plan on using your boat? If you are rarely going to anchor out, electric everything would be the way to go.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Lots of boats and I think I would be right by saying most boats in the UK use propane or butane. Anyway our boats have to have a safety test which includes a gas leak test. Cylinders have to be sited either on the top deck or in a purpose locker so if there is a leak, the gas will discharge or vent over the side of the vessel. I have propane and have fitted a `bubble tester`. This device is fitted in the gas line near the cylinder and by pressing its button you know there are no leaks if no bubbles are seen in its little oil container. I do not have a problem with using propane. I could fit a gas detector in the bilge but Im not that worried. To make everything intrincicaly safe would be out of the question. Yes there are `accident` but with care I see the chances very low. A bigger problem might be carbon monoxide poisioning.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Our Regal had propane installed for the bbq. The tank was placed in its own sealed container and the vent from it went directly overboard at the water level. It had a electrical interlock for the main line. Can you do propane? Sure, but the risk of something bad happening is increased. Risk / reward.. I use propane disposable cylinders for my BBQ but will store them where a leak will not blow up my boat.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Propane may be okay. My former 35te had a factory installed propane oven/ and stove top. It also had the auto shut off and all worked well. As a secondary precautionary I always shut it off at the tank when not in use.

West Marine sells a really fine Stove and Separate Marine Oven and Separate Range top which I recently had professionally installed.
There are three separate alarm locations: one at the oven, another at the range top and finally one in the bilge. If you even leave the valve on for a short time prior to ignition they go crazy. So I feel very safe. However, I still feel turning them off at the tank when not in use is the safe thing to do.

All this said, I would not think of using a propane ref. as it would be on all the time and sleeping with that would scare me to death.

whwells "Howard"

Return to “General Discussion”